Kytac Braveheart IWB for 10mm Witness,well actually P-97,well you`ll see!

Marcus

I bought a Kytac Braveheart kydex IWB holster for my Ruger P-97 a year or two ago and it worked great. Made packing that chunky .45 practical. However I traded the P-97 on a 10mm Witness some time ago and the holster no longer had a use. I tried selling it but I couldn`t see practically giving it away. I also needed a good IWB for the Witness but Dave at Kytac doesn`t make holsters for the big Witness(oh BTW Dave if you`re reading you`ll probably cringe at the next part :o ). Hmmmm,so I got this bright idea. The Witness fit in the holster but it slopped around because the Ruger was much thicker through the slide. So I whipped out the propane torch,some leather gloves,some wadded up rags and got to work. I was carefull to keep the flame at least 6" away from the kydex so I wouldn`t scorch it (a heat gun would work much better). About 30-45secs of this was enough to soften the kydex. I worked on one side at a time molding it to the contours of the gun (heat holster,insert gun,mold,cool). It was very easy to work with and after about half an hour I had a holster you`d swear was made for the Witness in the first place. :) It didn`t fit quite as snug as I`d like though and I relized that I`d molded it with the tension screws fully tightened,no prob I just removed the Chicago screws and ground them about 1/16" shorter and reinstalled them. That done I just tightened them up a little more and voila,perfect! I wouldn`t have believed it was so easy. Now keep in mind I`m a kinda handy guy and I`ve made numerous wet molded leather holsters before for myself and others but still anyone should be able to do it with patience and a little practice. It has me thinking of doing the same thig with a $20 Uncle Mike`s kydex holster to make up a belt rig. :) Marcus

Back