Kytac .5-Product Review

Jhp147

I think a good leather holster is a thing of beauty, but the constant references to kydex holsters here, and an article about some IDPA match in which half the entrants carried kydex holsters made me curious. I looked at the various makers, and chose Dave Elderton's KY-TAC line. I did this because in the IDPA match I mentioned above, the half carrying kydex were Ky-Tac brand. Also, he seemed to be the ONLY maker who had a custom operation and would make one for my old version 5904. When it arrived, I noticed signs of handcrafting-lines and measurement numbers on the back. I regard this as a positive feature. Dave mentioned in an E-mail that he found a scratch on the holster "during final spraying," and would fix it if it bothered me. I didn't find a scratch, and in fact the holster is quite good looking. Black, shiny/grainy finish with the equivalent of "boning." The mag pouches also look great. The rounded edges add a very finished look. I have worn the holster for concealed carry and used it in 3 IDPA matches, always with the nylon Instructor's Belt. I was initially concerned with the open type belt loop, but my concerns were unfounded, in fact the rig is easy to put on and off like a paddle if necessary. I had to crank down the adjustment screws quite a bit, and talked back and forth to Dave Elderton a couple of times to make sure I was doing right. He returned E-mail questions very promptly. The holster is fast, and sits at a very good angle for my use. Dave will craft it to your specs-cant, etc. The belt slide holster's faults are magnified due to the position and "slickness" of the holster, and one must be careful when sitting not to push the gun upward. It is not the best concealment holster due to the straight draw and lack of cant, but works under a "CCW Vest." I'm thinking of buying a different model for better concealment. Price for the holster and two magazine pouches was $94.50, about what I'd pay for my favorite leather holster with one pouch. Dave quotes a delivery time of about four weeks. My wait was much longer due to circumstances beyond the maker's control. I don't claim to have any experience with other kydex rigs aside from looking at them for comparison, but I don't think I see a need to try anything else when I have a winner in this one.

------------------
When the wicked spring as the grass, and when all the workers of iniquity do flourish; IT IS that they shall be destroyed forever...Psalms 92.7

Oops, and look at his web site for specs and order info, http.//members.aol.com/kytac/
Nice web site, too.

Back