KY Imports Sig 229 .40 12-rounders

Mark Ritchie

I'm thinking about getting a .40 Sig 229 sometime soon. I'm therefore thinking about getting one or two of the 12-round units from Kentucky Imports, simply because the 10-round Klinton Klips are an abomination in the eyes of God.

Did anyone else order these?

I can deal with the $99 + shipping per unit. But what I need to know is, are they what I'm expecting: nice blueing, "Sig-Sauer" stamp (not Mec-Gar "Made in Italy"), no rust, and no excessive "storage" damage?

Also, are KY Imports a decent bunch of guys to deal with? Or should I look elsewhere?

Thanks, all.

I have never had a problem with them, but I hear that they can be less than personable in face to face deals. At $99 they should be darn near if not new. CDNN frequently has the SIG demo mags for $80 each and they are near new.

Why not MecGar

MecGar makes most of SIGs mags for them and they are of the highest quality. Never turn your nose up at a MecGar...now USA and ProMags are a different story!

Gumbo, correct me if I'm wrong, but it's my understanding that back on and before September (13? - 16?) of 1994, the pre-ban period, Sig was still making their own magazines. Any Mec-Gar magazines of that period would have been aftermarket, however well-made.

It is my further understanding that in return for my $99 I will get an actual Sig-Sauer-stamped magazine made in their very own factory. That is what I am trying to get confirmed on this thread.

And don't worry, I'm not gonna fiddle with Pro-Mag or USA.

here is a link to aftermarket 12 round mags for the .40 S&W 229 Sig for $60.00. don't give up on finding factory 12 rounders for less than $100.00 i just got one from TFL classifieds for $80.00
http://ammoclip.com/sig229.htm

sure looks like from the ad that they are factory mags. interesting...humm

no mag sold by Sig would be dud. ask them outright before ordering.

Gumbo,
Mecgar mags love to rust. I have 6, 3 for my 226 .40, and 3 for my 239 .357. Each has had a little rust build up on the surface. Some were more serious, and required a little extra attention.
My SIG factory mags OTOH, have been perfect since day 1.

I'll be the fly in the ointment. I do not think I would pay the extra money for two extra rounds. I would sooner buy a bunch of factory 10 rounders at half the price. I know I am sorry I paid the price for the high capacity (HC) magazines for my Browning BDM. I could have bought 5 10 rounders for the price of one HC. Regards, Richard

In the case we are speaking of, the 229 .40/357 Sig, the difference is two rounds and roughly double the price per mag if you pay retail for the 10 round Sig factory mag. i do not feel that i will ever purchase a stockpile of 12 round Sig mags unless the ban is lifted. however for the mag i carry in my pistol for CCW and possibly the backup mag, the 12 rounders are not that bad a deal if you can get one for $80.00 or less. i have turned them down flat at prices ranging from $135.00 to $90.00 at gun shows and on the internet.

i can not really see myself carrying more than two 229 mags (one in pistol, one in mag pouch) at any given time. so the difference comes to 25 rounds in hi-cap and 21 for post ban mags. that is worth the price of dinner and a movie for the family. $160.00 vs. $60.00 = $100.00 difference. i have spent $100.00 and had less to show for it later. plus as it is now the hi-caps are fair investments as prices have remained steadly high on the less common ones.

in short life is way to short for ugly lovers, cheap knives and castrated post ban mags. if my weapon is designed to hold 12 rounds and it does not compromise my concealing it. then i want a 12 rounder or 15 rounder or what ever belongs in the weapon.

I have a SIG 239 .40 The normal mag is a 7 round. Does anyone know where I can get a higher capacity mag that wound pehaps have a larger finger rest making the grip just a touch longer. Thanks

Well, let's see where I'm at.

Assuming I get a 229, and assuming I want standard-cap mags...

1) I deal with KY Imports, who, as I've learned here and elsewhere, do not enjoy an across-the-board reputation for honest & straight dealing,

2) Get some mags from some dude on some gun board somewhere, who may or may not screw me over, and against whom I have little or no recourse if he does,

3) Troll the local gun shows, which, by the way, truly suck ass in this area (Ft. Lauderdale).

Ahhhh, crap. I guess I'll just get a 239, too.

By the way, RH, I've heard of factory 10-rounders for the 239 9mm that stick out an inch or so from the bottom of the grip, but nothing similar for the .40/.357 version.

One and all, thank you again for your replies.

Back