Kudos to Leupold!

JJ45

I recently acquired an old Leupold M8 4X28. The scope had no letter prefix serial number so it was made prior to 1974.

I got a good deal on it and the exterior was perfect with no ring marks, etc. so I decided to send it to Leupold for a reticle change. It had the CPC reticle and I requested they mount a German #4 for better visibility in the woods. The cost would be $69.

I was at a football game last night when I got a call from Leupold. The lady said the scope had "water" in it. I assume she meant that the scope was no longer water proof. She said Leupold would replace the scope with a new FXII 4X33 and mount the German #4 reticle to boot.

That, in my opinion, is standing behind your product especially considering an optical instrument thats pushing 50 years old!

Yes they are a great company with a great reputation. I've sent them several scopes, most that I have picked up used. Some have needed replacement parts and some haven't, but they were all taken care of in a timely and professional manner. As long a Leupold continues to offer a great product at a decent price I'll continue to have them on my rifles.

Last edited:
Until recently, I'd never had a Leupold scope go bad. But, my 6-18VX2 died. I'll send it back soon. I have had a few reticles changed by them, and it was done quickly and Leupold refurbished the scopes at no extra charge.

Holy cow that is awesome. I've got several Leupolds but never had to send one in for repair. I did for a Vortex (my fault), and they replaced it as well, no questions asked.

Leupold is one of the few companies that I'd give no 2nd thoughts about buying a used product. If you get a bad one they still make it right. I'd 2nd the vote for Ruger and include Glock as well.

Leupold has good customer service on their hunting scopes. On their bench rest scopes? I have had less than favorable experiences there.

Back