Krink kit question

O.C. 4 U

Inactive
I'm planning on buying a AKSU/krinkov kit and a receiver and sending it off to Red Jacket to do a build.
Here's my question; can I send in my form 4 once I get the receiver, so once Red Jacket builds it and sends it to my class 3 dealer I can pick it right up? That way I won't have to wait on the tax stamp; I'll already have it in hand.
Thanks for any help and tips you can give me; while I've owned and shot firearms all my life, I'm a total noob when it comes to NFA weapons.

File your form 1 before sending it off. That way, they can assemble a legal SBR, and return it directly to you.

Or are you having RJ do the SBR process? If so, you'll have to wait until teh F1 comes back to them, then file the F4, then wait for it to clear, then ship to a C3 dealer.

File your form 1 before sending it off. That way, they can assemble a legal SBR, and return it directly to you.
I won't have to go though a class 3 dealer?
I thought the form 1 was for when you built it yourself?. As I said this is all very new to me.
I plan on ordering a krink kit from k-var (most likely), and going thru my local FFL to have a stripped AK receiver sent to me. Once I get all that I'm going to ship the kit and receiver down to Red Jacket to have them assemble it for me.
I was just wondering when I could send in the paperwork so I have as little wait time as possible. The idea of having to wait for my paperwork to clear while my SBR is sitting at my local class 3 dealer kills me. If it's possible (and legal) to send in the paperwork as soon as I get the receiver or while it's being built would keep me from waiting once it was built.
Thanks again for the help with my questions......told ya I'm a noob to this stuff:D.

MisterPX is spot on. You would be better served filing the Form 1 yourself. You may not be assembling all the parts, but by filing the F1 yourself, you are legally "manufacturing" the SBR. ATF doesn't care if the parts are assembled or not, you are merely registering the receiver as a SBR. This would allow you to send your parts off and get them assembled and since it is a "repair" you can have the completed rifle sent back directly to your door. If you were to go the other route, you would have to pay not only the $200 tax stamp, but your local C3 would likely charge you $50-$75 to do the transfer. You can send in your F1 paperwork as soon as you have the serial# from your receiver. I would wait until you have the paperwork in hand before you send the receiver off. This way if for some reason you were denied or delayed, you or Red Jacket wouldn't be sitting on a possibly unregistered SBR. They should also be able to engrave it for you while they are building it. If they can't, then you will have to address that before you can send the receiver off anyway. It is easier to engrave a stripped receiver than a completed rifle.

you can chop your own bbl's, dont let anybody tell ya different.
just have your form 1 in hand b4 installing the <16" bbl.
ive done an uzi & a rem 870, i went thru LOTS of misinformation regarding this.
thing is i didn't know if folks were lying to me in order to sell me something, or were just full of BS:rolleyes:
i had a c3 tell me " if it was'nt born a SBR, you cant LEGALLY MAKE IT ONE! BS
this guys partner wanted to charge me $200 to chop my 870:eek:
saying an SOT must do the work:barf:

also "you can't legally but a f/a bolt in a semi auto uzi (after the tax stamp, of course), because if it wasn't born a f/a, you can't make it a f/a BS

any c3 questions you may have can be answered at www.subguns.com (including citation of the laws)

i tell ya, some folks know just enough to get ya in trouble:D

So, I hope you aren't saying that what MisterPX and I said is wrong, because it is not. O.C. 4U looks like he is intent on having Red Jacket assemble his SBR, we are guiding him through the best way of doing just that.

i had a c3 tell me " if it was'nt born a SBR, you cant LEGALLY MAKE IT ONE! BS
If he was referencing your 870, he may have been at least close to correct. If the 870 was born with a shoulder stock, it can never be a AOW. I wasn't there so I don't know how your conversation went. He could be very well full of horse manure, but I know there is some confusion in the SBS/AOW area.
this guys partner wanted to charge me $200 to chop my 870
saying an SOT must do the work
That amount is a bit high for a cut and re-crown, but he is also a little bit correct about the SOT. If you were to just give him the barrel, then no-problem. If you were to give him the entire shotgun, then he would have to be a SOT or else he would be in illegal posession of a SBS/AOW.
you can't legally [p]ut a f/a bolt in a semi auto uzi (after the tax stamp, of course), because if it wasn't born a f/a, you can't make it a f/a BS
If the bolt is the serialized part (and I am not familiar with the Uzi) then it can live in any host gun you want it to. Similar to the HK trigger packs or AR15 RDIAS'. If the weapon itself, regardless of FCG, is the serialized part, then no you can't install a F/A FCG into it. Example: You have a transferrable M16 and a regular AR15. You can't put the M16 FCG into the AR, that would make it an illegal MG.

Last edited:
this was when i was doin the uzi, which i did 1st.
and yes, a full auto bolt (around $4k) can be installed in my imi model a, with the stamp, of course). theres other mods necessary, perhaps this would require a SOT?

but the 870 was the cheapest, easiest c3 i could think of to do next
$150 gun
$100 knoxx copstock.
$200 stamp
my baby is 23.5" folded:)
the option to have a stock is more beneficial to me than having the piece designated an AOW
theres a $200 "making tax" required to do either, to an existing c1 firearm.
but no, homey acted like he didnt know that he could do his own work. (its possible now that i think about it that i misunderstood)
any gunsmith can cut the bbl so long as the gun owner is there with stamp in hand

Make sure you get the newest version of the Form 1. It has changed and if you don't send in the newest version, it'll get kicked back to you. The newest one will have the ATF signoff line on the front and it will have the Washington D.C. address at the top. The older forms have the ATF signoff on the back and the Martinsburg WV address at the top, that is no good. FWIW, ATF's website has either the incorrect version, or no version at all right now. Check www.titleii.com for the newest version.

Last edited:
One more thing to add before you get too far into the process, is are you going to be able to get a CLEO signoff? If not, you'll want to have a LLC/trust setup before you get rolling on the F1.

Back