KP9 SBR OOB Discharge

'88Scrat

Well, it finally happened to me...

After years of shooting hundreds of firearms and tens of thousands of rounds I finally had my first ever out of battery discharge at the local range today. If you shoot enough I suppose it was bound to happen eventually.

Luckily no one was hurt. Even the firearm itself seems to have sustained no damage outside of the cosmetic sort. It seems the bullet still managed to make it through the barrel and the can despite 1/3 of the case not being seated in the chamber. My Dead Air Wolfman also seems to be fine after a quick inspection of the baffles with a flashlight.

That said, I still sent an email to the Kalashnikov USA customer support team and plan on calling them on Monday. My KP9 will not be shot until someone from the manufacturer can inspect it. The only problem is I'm not sure KUSA even exists anymore as they went Chapter 11 in April. Has there been any update on whether there will even be anyone there to answer the email/phone?

I did keep the case that blew, the remaining bullets from the magazine, and put the box of ammo (115 gr Federal in this case) aside so I'd have the lot number available if they needed it.

Anything I missed? Never been through something like this so any advice or suggestions would be welcome.

I'll add pictures if I can get the uploader thing to work.

Thanks!

I didn't know what that was and found their website which describes it thusly: "The KR-9 SBR features a closed bolt blowback design that incorporates an out-of-battery safety mechanism so the gun cannot fire unless the bolt is fully closed." Wonder if there is a connection between that and KUSA going belly-up?

I couldn't say but what I can confirm after playing with the bolt is that clearly the out of battery safety on the bolt does not work.

Using a pen you can depress the safety on the bolt push the back of the firing pin and see it potrude through the bolt face. The problem is, even WITHOUT depressing the safety you can do the same.

Sounds like the safety blocks the firing pin, but yet the hammer can still hit the pin head. Most gun designs have built-in positional safety. An out-of-battery bolt keeps a fell hammer from reaching the pin head. I guess the KR-9 design overlooked this and the button safety was a bandaid added.

I wouldn't like it. The safety is going to fail after taking the hammer impact enough number of times. Did it have misfires before with the bolt seems OOB?

You may have been flying an airplane with defect all these years. With enough stick time, a mayday is going to happen.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

It was actually a pretty new acquisition. I'd only had it about 3 months. I submitted the Form 1 shortly after purchasing it and waited until it was in the rifle configuration before I ever even took it out.

I think it went blam on round 29 or 30 I ever put through it.

I can hear KUSA now, “We didn’t make it, certify, guarantee it with a suppressor.”
If the firing pin safety doesn't work, the gun is defective, and dangerously so. Unless KUSA can come up with some convincing argument how a suppressor could break the firing pin safety (which would be a tremendous stretch), the fact that the gun is suppressed should be totally irrelevant.

Even if they can somehow show that a suppressor can break the firing pin safety, if there is not some kind of clear warning about that in the manual or accompanying materials that came with the gun, they're still on the hook.

If you go on youtube you can find several videos on the trials and tribulations of the company and this particular design. I was curious as to how the bolt is assembled and functions--looks like it uses a flat firing pin retained by hammered-in pins. It also looks like it has a squared breech face--don't know why but somehow it reminds me of hammering a square peg into a round hole.

I cannot discern what feature of the firing pin and how it is installed in the bolt contains an out-of-battery prevention function. It looks to me like either it's installed properly--or it isn't. I also can't tell from the various descriptions of the failure whether or not the out-of-battery ignition happened simply as a result of the bolt picking up the cartridge on feed--or perhaps the trigger hammer being released prior to the cartridge being fully chambered???

KUSA is dead.
You'll need to figure it out on your own.

I don't want to be a Negative Nancy, but KUSA died because people didn't find their products to be worth buying. (A first, second, or third time.)
You are likely stuck in, "I didn't know"-land.

I fear you may be correct. I think I might just be SOL on this deal. No response from phone calls or email. Phone went straight to a recording that didn't inspire much confidence of ever getting a response.

I think I might just be out about $1,200 on this one...

Depending on how complicated the firing pin safety design is, you might be able to get someone to make you a part to get it working.

BUT...

Firing pin safeties are typically supposed to be a fail-safe, not something that is being hammered every shot. It sounds like there's another design flaw that's creating the situation where the firing pin safety is coming into play more than it should.

I am not optimistic that there's a good solution.

That ABSOLUTELY SUCKS!!! To do a form 1, pay the tax and wait the time, only to have a non-operational gun!!!

Ive only SBR’d guns i knew worked well. Either pistols or rifles that i did form 1’s on, and they are all AR’s that are easy to work on and get parts for.

I wonder if one of the AK forums would be helpful in a steer towards a gunsmith?

A good machinist can fix many problems.
A good gunsmith can fix many problems.
A good gunsmith machinist can make or ruin your year.

(Find a good gunsmith machinist, but keep them on the right track.)

Back