Koresh goes shooting with BATF agents 9 days before the raid.

deanf

http://www.indirect.com/www/dhardy/DK_Shooting.html

As explained at the above url, this sounds a little strange, more "why didn't they just arrest him then" argument ammo. But then you read the report. It's clear the agents were there to gather intelligence in an undercover capacity, not to socialize. It's not like Koresh called up the local BATF lair and just invited a couple of agents over to shoot. I'm not convinced he knew they were agents when they were there shooting, and there is no way to know what he knew and when he knew it.

------------------
“The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals. ... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of.” -Alexander Addison, 1789

This stinks even under the guise of intelligence gathering. It underlines the fact that the BATF could have arrested Koresh away from the "compound" at any time. Just call up and ask him to go shooting. For that matter, if they were shooting with him it's just a step to conversion and moving in with him. They could have probably gotten enough agents in the "compound" over a period of several months to arrest the entire bunch.

But that wouldn't have been a media event.

They had three opportunities actually....
Oy!

------------------
Devil and the deep blue sea behind me,
Vanish in the air you'll never find me...

Back