Koppo Sticks

riverkeeper

Anyone else carry one.

Each day I walk for an hour or so in a fairly large city near the edge of the Hot Zone which also bounds a large park and other walking areas.

Since the initial stage of many deadly and violent encounters are at contact distance the koppo seems like a great aux weapon which can be engaged with no delay while working toward a draw and retreat as appropriate. After practicing some relevant blade and striking techniques I was impressed and have carried one for a few years.

It’s carried IN the weak hand but can shoot with it (or dump it) – admittedly not as well or as quickly but my sense is the stick’s advantages outweigh the negatives.

Any thoughts?

I guess I could look it up somehwere, but I don't know what a koppo stick is either...looking forward to learning something.

More info

It is a short stick which is solidly held in the hand by a cord over two fingers (usually) which increases the security and impact of strikes with it. It is not a kubotan and is not used like one but resembles it physically.

Here's a basic page. There may be other info on the web.
This site takes a while to get to it and explain its use.

http://www.donrearic.com/koppostick.html

clarification -- The only slight slowdown and loss of accuracy is when shooting weakside. I carry it in that hand with slightly extended fingers so that it is not readily observable.

The problem with a Koppo is its range-it's a contact range weapon, which isn't my preference if I'm armed. I'd rather try to turn the attack with OC before it reaches me-that gives me time to complete a drawstroke if the situation continues to escalate.

Not that it's a BAD idea, but contact weapons while armed with a firearm bring up a host of othere issues.

Just MHO, of course,

Larry

I really like the idea of Koppos. I tried to reach Don Rearic for months when I saw his Titanium Koppo, with no success. I also always have a Surefire E2E (gonna trade it for an E2D) and now an L2, which can do the duty for an impact device, especially with GG&G's strike bezel attached ( www.gggaz.com I think)

In frustration, I started researching the materials to make my own Koppo, as there is one on the market (can't remember who sells) but at 4.5" iirc, it seemed too short. 5" or 5.5" seems like a better length, depending on the size of one's hand.

I found a plastics vendor who had some clear acrylic rod in various diameters that was rated for high impact strength. I couldn't decide on the best diameter, and then lost momentum.

I liked the idea of doing it in clear acrylic...with the right cord, it would almost disappear in one's hand, and wouldn't set off the mag at certain locations. Easier to shape than metal or Ti, and you could have one end that was more blunt or almost flat, and the other end could be more pointed, to suit the type of pressure point you needed to "stimulate." :)

Has anyone here tried making their own? Any thoughts on diameter, length, and type of material? I'll try to find the link to the plastic vendor.

Cheers.

I make them all the time, out of good old New Mexico juniperwood. I oil them up, use paracord for the loop, and I put Elmer's Glue-All on the knots so they don't come out.

It's a lot of fun, and every koppo I make is different.

Hey, nice! Kinda an au naturel, vegan Koppo ;)

No, I guess you'd have to use hemp rope instead of the paracord if making for the hippie types, but then what would they do with 'em. Ha!

some other Koppo info

Approx 1/2 in dia -- try hardwood dowels blunt pointed ends
or FLEXIBLE plastic waterpipe ends cut at a fairly sharp angle.

About 1 or so inch sticking out on each side of the palm after all angles are cut.

I carry OC in a belt holster and it is obvious from a distance and hopefully provides some deterence and use in some situations.

The koppo serves at least 2 purposes - one was mentioned in the first post the other I find is that its presence in my hand is a constant reminder to situational awarness.

Granted this is a contact weapon, but then again I think you will find that most encounters are going to require creating time and space to draw your sidearm, a koppo can do this for you. The big advantage to a koppo is you can have it in hand without drawing attention to yourself making it a part of your flinch reaction in an upclose/in the grasp situation. That pointy end on the koppo exerts alot of pressure and pain to the back of a hand or muscle. The loop alows you to carry other stuff such as grocery bags, the kid or what have you and still have a weapon at the ready. I carry an expandable baton (legal in my state) that can be used as a koppo as well as a baton. The koppo is being incorporated at this point, it is just to useful and handy to be without.

Back