Kopel article: treat guns like cars

Jack Straw

In the NealzNuze section of boortz.com today (a fun site itself) there was this link to a Reason magazine article by David B. Kopel --
http://www.reason.com/9911/fe.dk.taking.html

Kopel discusses how guns and gun laws would be affected if we truly treated guns like cars (ala Gore/Bradley license and registration plots). An interesting read.

Waddya think?

Jack

Sorry, but I don't know how to actually make that a link and save everyone from having to use the keyboard! :)

[This message has been edited by Jack Straw (edited October 14, 1999).]

Works for me. Sounds pretty practical

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

I was fortunate to meet David recently in St. Louis at the Gun Rights Policy Conference, and we heard him speak passionately regarding Waco. Check for his books. And, email him at David@i2i.org to ask to be put on his email list - he's got some great stuff, and you'll get his articles hot off the 'press'.

Regards from AZ

In response to the question of whether there are legitimate reasons for owning a handgun, Brady's husband and fellow anti-gun activist, Jim Brady, told Parade magazine: "For target shooting, that's OK. Get a license and go to the range. For defense of the home, that's why we have police departments."

Yeah, a lot of good the police and secret service did him.

------------------
Peace through superior firepower...
Keith

If the 2nd is antiquated, what will happen to the rest.
"the right to keep and bear arms."

I just thought it was kind of fun to read about the logical conclusion of the ideas of Gore, Bradley, et al. It was sort of a pointless read considering that logic (being the enemy of the left) will not be used. For that matter it wasn't used to reach the conclusion that we need license and registration to begin with.

This "we register cars so lets register guns" business is so absurd, it justs kills me that so many will buy into it. Its one more buzzword(well...buzzphrase) that we have to go out and work against.

Jack

Why not? You do not have to have a backgroud check to buy a car. You can buy any car you want as long as you have the money. There are no waiting periods, or one car a month laws to my knowledge. There are no restrictions on how many people you can stuff in one, nor on how many cylinders or forward speeds. OK, lets treat guns like cars.

KAM: I don't blame Jim Brady for anything he says since his brain got scrambled like an egg by an assasin's bullet, and his wife followed the treatment up with six months of intensive brainwashing he no longer had the mental capacity to resist. Just think of his as his wife's ventriloquist dummy, and be thankful you're not in his place.

------------------
Sic semper tyranus!

Some things that the people who want to treat guns like cars never mention. You can buy a car without a drivers license. You can drive/own a car without a license. You can drive/own a car without a registration. You can drive/own a car without any training.

The only time these things are needed is if you choose to drive on PUBLIC roads. These things are not needed if the car is kept on private property.

The gun control people want licenses and registration to purchase a gun and to keep one on your private property.

Back