Know Your Gun

TC

Yesterday I decided to give my 4516 a thorough cleaning after my CCW course Saturday. I had never disassembled it further than the recommended cleaning procedure but those little spaces and crevices that I couldn't get to were bothering me. So.....

Being the "I wonder what this will do if I take this out" kind of person I proceeded to remove the grip and then the various pins beneath it. After removing and cleaning all the various levers, springs, and "pieces parts" I carefully reassembled everything in the frame. This was somewhat of a challenge as I believe the planets need to be in some sort of alignment while sunspot activity reaches a peak to get the pins back through the levers and hammer. Now I check the trigger - Ok seems fine. I now put the slide on. The trigger no longer functions? :confused: I disassemble again thinking I missed something. Reassemble, same thing. Hmmm. Remove grip, look at parts diagram; this is right, that is right, wait what is that called? "THE MAGAZINE DISCONNECT LEVER" D'OH!!!!!! :o You Dummy!!! Reassemble and check with an empty magazine...Wonder of wonders it works exactly like it was made to. Fortunately my wife didn't ask me why it took 3 hours to clean my gun. ;)

I was fully aware of the magazine safety but somehow forgot about it when I did my final check. And that is my bonehead story of the day. Just thought I'd share.

If the Glock is really "perfection", then I suppose we will never see any new models or improvements. Right ?? ;)
Is it just me or is that ad line really insufferable ??

Can you really totally disassemble a Glock? I am under the impression the fire control parts are not removable unless you are a Glock armorer or something.

This is the way SIGs are made. You have to punch out a double roll pin (and replace it with a new one) to get the firing pin and some other parts out. I thought Glocks were made the same way. I've never totally stripped my SIGs for this reason.

Now a 1911A1 you can strip down to bare bones in a couple of minutes.

Just curious.

The only thing I cannot get dissemble on my Glocks is the trigger from the bar. Not that it needs it, but it looks like it would break if you did it wrong. The parts in the rear of the frame dissemble quickly and painlessly.

If we stopped making guns because of "perfection", we would have stopped 50 years ago. The Makarov has 27 parts total. Simple, Simple, Simple. And damn accurate too.:D

Archer,
Yes, I think it is just you. Yes we will see new models of the Glock. Perfection is an unattanable goal. Nothing that man creates is perfect but the Glock is as close to perfection as man can engineer.

[Edited by Coop57 on 03-27-2001 at 04:44 PM]

Back