"Know Your Customer" banking changes dropped

Morgan

Yea!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Anti-Money Laundering Rules Dropped

By MARCY GORDON Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Banking regulators today scrapped proposed rules designed to fight money laundering after a deluge
of criticism from citizens and privacy advocates.

The so-called ``Know Your Customer'' rules, being developed by four federal agencies, would have closely tracked banking
customers' transaction patterns.

The Federal Deposit Insurance Corp., had received some 225,000 e-mail messages and letters, nearly all opposing the
proposed rules. Donna Tanoue, FDIC chairwoman, said: ``The public has spoken very loudly and clearly'' against the proposed
regulations.

The regulations would have required banks to verify their customers' identities, know where their money comes from and
determine their normal pattern of transactions. The current requirements for banks to report any ``suspicious'' transactions to
law enforcement authorities would have been expanded.

Privacy advocates, conservative groups, ordinary people and the nation's bankers have complained since December that the
rules would transform every bank teller into a spy for Big Brother. They maintained the rules are unconstitutional and would
violate prohibitions against unreasonable search and seizure.

Early this month, the Senate voted 88-0 to express support for a measure directing the regulators to drop the proposed rules.

In addition to the FDIC, the other agencies involved in the rules were the Federal Reserve; the Comptroller of the Currency,
which oversees nationally chartered banks; and the Office of Thrift Supervision.

The rules were designed to combat money laundering techniques used by drug traffickers and other criminals to hide illegal
profits. Money laundering is a major concern of law enforcement officials; it reached an estimated $30 billion in this country last
year.

Laundering includes the use of wire transfers and bank drafts as well as ``smurfing,'' the practice of breaking down transactions
into smaller amounts that do not have to be reported under the Bank Secrecy Act.

AP-NY-03-23-99 1254EST[/quote]

[This message has been edited by Morgan (edited March 23, 1999).]

Good news, Morgan. Score one for the good guys. Now, if Klinton will refrain from putting it thru by Exec Order, we may have reason to celebrate.
Rich

Rich, good news (possibly) there, too. Rep. Jack Metcalf (R-Washington) has introduced legistlation to stop Clinton's Executive Order's, or at least de-fang them. WorldNet daily has the story <a href="http://www.worldnetdaily.com/bluesky_exnews/19990323_xex_a_curb_clint.shtml">here</a>.

Now if we can just repeal the silly $10,000 purchase reporting law. I'm a person who saves for major purchases like automobiles rather than financing. Under the status quo I cannot write a check for a new car without triggering the hassle an IRS audit. So I pay $9500 down and finance the rest and pay it off in a few months. Such laws are a violation of my rights as a citizen to run my life as I see fit.

Back