Knob Creek Machine Gun Shoot

W296

Inactive
Thinking about going to the Knob creek shoot in April ? I have never been,looks like fun. Has anyone ever been and would you recomend going? Would have to take some vacation to make it. Maybe we can get a group from the forum to meet there?

www.Knobcreekrange.com

W296:

I think that some of the TFL folks have indeed met up there in the past. They were posting about it here for some days afterward, you might wanna do a search from early-mid October. And I'm sure some of them will check in with you here shortly. I have been there several times, I enjoyed it except for trying to park, a wet grass lot on "bottom land" isn't much fun WITH 4-wheel drive, impossible without it. There is some parking out along rt. 44, on the shoulder, but technically you could be towed away out there. Don't know if that has actually happened or not. The parking situation is something that Knob Creek should be trying a LOT harder to fix, IMO anyhow. Other than that it is a great chance to observe and even try out a multitude of full-auto blasters, one can even rent a flame-thrower! And there is a pretty good size gun show going on too. Most of the stuff is Class-3 related, but there's plenty of other gun goodies available, just gotta figure out how to carry it out to your vehicle!

I was there in the fall of 1998 and had a lot of fun. I was glad I had both plugs and muffs, since the line is real loud. The gun show next to the main range was amazing. The stock of FA stuff might be reduced some now, but the components, books and parts should still be thick there. I got a deal on rifle powder and bought books and magazines in '98. Talked to some interesting folks too, including the publisher of Small Arms Review and one of the writers.

Wear good shoes and take clothes for all possible types of weather. It was dry and dusty when I was there, but several since have been "Mudhole City. "
I've been trying to get back since 1998. No luck due to cars breaking down and schedules screwing up.

Brian D

Watch out when parking on Rt 44. This past Oct that was about the only place to park on Saturday. The police seemed to be OK with that, but not on a road that branched off of it. They towed away those cars. The Creek did broadcast a warning to move the cars, but many did not hear or heed it.

W296

GO GO GO. You will enjoy it. I took a Canadian friend of mine there about two years ago and he wanted to come back for more. Do take hearing protection. You can hear the firing line from a mile away. Just think what it sounds like up close. One nice thinng about the Creek is that some will take their dog there. Being the good owner they are the dogs are provided with hearing protection also. To me that says a lot about those that attend. If you can go then go on Friday and come back on Saturday for at least the night show. Friday there are fewer people and you can talk with the venders. Have a good time.

I've gone there 3 times so far, definitely well worth the trip if you like full auto toys. If you go into the pole barn you better be a good window shopper or filthy rich. :D :eek:
And as stated earlier, come early to get a decent parking spot. Oct. is better than Apr. for weather/flood concerns as a rule. Make hotel reservations ASAP (6mos. to a year in advance is best) as they fill up fast and driving from the North side of Louisville sucks. Karl.

It is on my wish list of places to go, but for now I wait until people upload some videos and just watch those. Its like I am actually there. Ok, not even close.

The videos are fun to watch, but they obviously lack in comparison to being there. There's nothing like the feel of the concussion from all the exloding bombs your first night there. Woohoo what a hoot. And some of the most extravagant firearms like the triple barrel mini gun that one guy brings. The flamethrowers:eek: . The diesel/dynamite bombs. Short barreled twin 50's. :D :D :D

Karl.

DO IT. I went in 2000, and enjoyed every minute. Make sure you take some warm clothes, a rain suit, and boots, along with muffs and plugs. The bridge into the range is sort of rickety , and it gets pretty mucky in the rain, but other than that it's a slice of heaven for anyone interested in FA.

I go in the spring and fall every year., mainly for the gushow (pieces parts and ammo). I take a 4X4 and park in the mud bog :) I hit it on friday and get out. I've been going so long I hardly even look at the firing line any more.

If it's your first time you want to go on a saturday.

Back