Knives, Fighting vs Collecting

Bam Bam

OK, I have a friend who likes knives. Good enough. What I don't understand is that he likes nice lock-blades such as Spyderco and Sante Fe Stoneworks instead of Ka-Bars and such. Why prefer collecting these nice knives to the real bad-boys? As an insight, he thinks some guns, FNFAL, AK, AR, etc are not needed by civilians.

I've got some knives laying around. My favorite is a commerative Navy Fighting Knife with a gold battleship on it. On each side of the battleship are the names of 4 battleships which were at Pearl Harbor. I also have the plaque mounted commerative Applegate Knife set which includes one fixed blade and one folder. Heck, none of them are for carrying (my first choice for a fight would be Applegate's fixed blade) and what I do have for carrying is a humble S&W folder which I received as a gift.

Now, I do have a real Civil War Calvary Saber. I bought it in college for $60 and took it to fencing class with me. No one wanted to fence me though and the blade went untested. :(

Well, if someone has a knife that is valuable for the inlay, that is fine. But why forgoe a good fighting knife for a 'looker'? Wouln't you want at least one good fighting knife for self-defense if you had a dozen knives?

If you want art, buy art. If you want tools, buy tools.
Done well, one object may be both.

Some may appreciate the craftsmanship of Spydercos, and collect them simply for fascination of executing the craft; the collector of Spydercos may not see Ka-Bars in the same light.

But why forgoe a good fighting knife for a 'looker'?

Is the person in question actually forgoing? Many here carry Spydercos as weapons; some would like them to look nice as well.

I'd like a good 'looker'. I'd like to drop $2000 on a gorgeous, handmade, combat-worthy knife of sheer beauty - and hang it on my wall. Why? For the same reasons that I have fine Korean pottery scattered about, and Chinese calligraphy hanging on the wall: the appreciation of fine art built upon fine practicality; the pottery function as fine containers and the calligraphy conveys a fine story, yet my real pleasure derives from taking those basic functions and extending them into fine art. I would rarely, if not never, use them for their basic functions.

As for knives (or whatever) that fail to perform well in practical functions, I would have to evaluate how good an item is purely on its artistic/craftwork merits. A functioning yet poor-quality "art gun" is really a waste if the artistic aspect is not of notable quality (see any "commemorative gun" ad near the front of an NRA magazine). In some cases, the practical quality becomes irrelevant under the artistic value - consider a painting, which is purely art with no functional "tool" value...but then, a painting is not claimed to be anything other than a medium of pure art.

Wouln't you want at least one good fighting knife for self-defense if you had a dozen knives?

Practical application is something distinct from artistic value. Some people simply have no use for the practical aspect in their lives, yet they are fascinated by the artistic aspect. If a person never intends to use a knife for self-defense, they may end up collecting beautiful knives made of exotic materials or of attractive shapes, but which are not practical for actual use - in such case, the focus is simply on the art, and that the object is not useful is irrelevant.

We look at knives, even beautiful ones, and think "combat". Others may look at knives, even intentionally weapons, and think "art".

Think of it this way: many people will, upon discoving that one of us is carring a pistol, ask "is it loaded?" That such a question seems preposterous to us and yet perfectly reasonable to them shows that some think about weapons very differently.

To each their own.

(It's very late and I'm rambling. I'll shut up now.)

Can Ask the Same Question Regarding Guns

Yup, some collect for beauty, some for the bang and many do both.

I purchased my first knife (Boker Stellar) eighteen months ago. I just liked it. I have found it to be rather useful.

Recently, I decided that I needed to do something other bemoan the lack of concealed carry in urban California, so I have purchased a Sifu, Sere 2000 and LCC for carry. Now, that won't do when faced with a gun, but at least I can now open even the heaviest box.

In the process of looking for practical carry knives, I found some really great looking expensive knives. My gun budget, being completely blown trying to beat the evil handgun drop-dead date of January 1st, will not allow for those great pieces of art. I must admit that many knives are just that, works of art and craftsmanship. So, while the rest of you collect teddy bears and spoons, I just might buy an expensive piece of knife art once every many years. I already finished my teddy bear collection:)

collecting

I collect for beauty and practical usage.
Some are lookers and some are doers.
It is a matter of personal preference. To each his own.

I carry these three..... rotate!

MADD MAXX 5.5 in blade in D2 mod. Flipper!
Ti frame, D2 mod steel
mm1.jpg

dredccf1.jpg

Comes as a da also! (Illusion release), Ti frame lock (IBL) DA Illusion too!

jay2.jpg

Da (S1 push forward release), 4.75 in blade.

------------------
Web site at www.darrelralph.com

Sometimes "nice" knives do get the job done. I like folders because they are practical to carry. The first gift i gave my then gf (now wife)was a cheap Benchmade Panther. She used it to slice a BG's chest who tried to divest her of her purse outside a walgreens in S. FL in broad daylight. About a year later in the same general location a punk walked across the street and asked for her purse (again) as she was approaching her car. Her R hand was already in her purse and opened the first folder she could find which happened to be lowly endura. During the struggle for the purse her Rhand cleared and she plunged it all the way into his L leg. The first BG did not go anywhere, had surgery and got 8 months in jail.The 2nd ran way with the stuck knife but was later apprehended in a hospital. He got some quality time too:) A few points about these two incidents are: most BG's are cowardly bullies, just dont count on it; my wife was able to respond because she saw it coming (she was already palming the panther inside her front pocket as she stepped out of the drugstore and was shoved against the wall by the BG#1 with his hand on her throat). BTW my wife has MS and does appear an easy mark. Also, she has "lost" a few muggings too:( But she always has a mini-afck, a cqc7 and a Kerambit in her purse. i carry a little bit more on me but then again i have full control of my hands, she doesnt sometimes:) Next up for her is serious cane training.
regards, eugene

I've both ugly and beautiful weapons/tools. The constant carry piece these days is a plain old Gerber EZ Out. A sometime piece, a modified Zwickey BH on a short shaft with a pen clip. In my shirt pocket, it looks like a Ball point pen, and is positioned for a GrabNStab from a sitting position. My retirement job is a limo driver, and I spend lots of time at the wheel.

Back