knife carry question

Abaddon

I have an unusual problem

due to circumstances beyond my control I cannot carry a gun and as a result carry a CRKT tactical folder clipped to my strong side pocket. This knife is generally visible, but not usually noticed by the average person.

Over Christmas break I will be participating in an activity with my college wherein I will be dressing as a homeless person and living on the streets for five days.

My main question is to any LEOs out there:
if you saw a homeless guy carrying a (legal) knife would you give him a hard time about it?

If so, would you recommend a different method of carry that would avoid such circumstances?

If I carry it clipped to my belt it is virtually impossible for it to be seen, but I can't get it out very fast that way.

What would you guys recommend?

Stick the whole thing inside your pocket. Practice removing, accessing and employing from there. Will it be slower? Yep. Will it be concealed? Yep. Will it be noticed? Not unless you're proned out and being searched. And remember Seattle has a size limit on folding knives. It'd probably be considered bad form for a college student posing as a homeless guy to get arrested for violating the local ordnaces.

Option #2: get a sheath for it (like buck knives) and carry it openly on your belt. Dunno if this is legal or not, or practical given your choice of clothing (read: coats)

As to whether or not I would hassle a homeless guy for carrying a knife...

The short answer is no. The longer answer is that I would most assuredly hassle a homeless guy who is hassling others, and if CCW on a pocket knife is the only way I can get this jackarse off the streets for a little criminal justice time-out, I'll do CCW on a pocketknife.

IOW, if you were roleplaying a bum in my jurisdiction, I would not care if you had a pocket knife unless you were doing the aggressive panhandling thing and you needed to take a little trip downtown. Then I'd be fishing for a reason to hook you, and whatever you provide me will do quite nicely, thanks.

Mike

Wear a coat with nice roomy pockets and keep it in there.
My experience with homeless people is that they do not typically carry tactical folders. If you are really trying to replicate the homeless experience, leave it home and live as they really do. The ones I've run across that were "armed" in any sense of the word had kitchen knives or really cheap folders.
Like Coronach, I'd leave you alone as long as you were leaving society alone.

Yes, but what about the other homeless people who now see a fresh new face on the streets (you)? I'd keep the folder, but keep it out of sight and easily reachable. I usually carry my Benchmade IWB.

1) Change colleges. Now.

2) If you're determined to do this, a couple of weeks or more before the shindig, start eating a VERY low carbohydrate diet. Meat, cheese and eggs. You'll shed water weight and body fat (you'll almost immediately look leaner), and you'll be less hungry (after a few days on a ketogenic diet, one's hunger/urge to eat basically goes away). If you want, and are used to living without regular infusions of carbs to make your blood sugar fluctuate, you can go without food for several days with few problems.

3) If any shelters have metal detectors, they'll find it.

What is it, some sorta "feel for the poor" class? Lemme tell you, I've been rich, and I've been poor, and poor sucked. But what would suck even more would be having some college kid next to me telling me about how I should live my life... Gitcherself a short bottle of cheap wine, and keep your mouth shut. Talk as little as possible, because when you open your mouth, they'll know you don't belong. Which may just mean that you're prey.

Quote:
What is it, some sorta "feel for the poor" class? Lemme tell you, I've been rich, and I've been poor, and poor sucked. But what would suck even more would be having some college kid next to me telling me about how I should live my life...

Actually, Bogie its not a class, its an entirely voluntary "feel for the poor" kinda thing. Also, I will not be telling them how to live their lives, I will be attempting to experience how they live theirs.

I do not think the food thing is going to be much of a problem, especially in Seattle. My friends who have gone on it before say that there is no shortage of food out there at the shelters.

Golgo 13,

After reading your post I will consider leaving it at home. To be honest I had not really considered it, but I guess it would help me to experience it more from their point of view.

I DID live on the streets for several months. In fact I was the ONLY homeless person I ever met who was really homeless. There is always a shelter, a home or even a motel or apartment, ONCE you are willing to play the game. And, the game is usually to start taking psychiatric drugs; after you agree to accept the prescriptions, all sorts of doors open to you... at least in DC, Virginia, Montana, Maryland... that is all I know of.

As far as being armed. You are NOT supposed to be armed in the shelters in most cases. Church shelters don't require psychiatric treatment criteria usually.

Street people in Montana that I lived with for about 7 months called it "passing the Wing-Nut test" that is seeing a shrink, getting adjudicated as mentally ill and then accepting the Prozac, Zoloft, etc. After that... food, shelter, money, dentistry, glasses, and all sorts of support was available. In DC, it included lodging in hotels and apartment buildings in pretty nice sections of town, after getting the psych drugs of course.

There were a lot of street people that were armed, probably all of them. Many carried butcher knives. One common stratedgy I saw was a large kitchen knife along the outside of the weak forearm, often held there with an ace bandage, some masking tape or a couple of shoestrings, etc.

Another common weapon I saw was a stick with a very large nail or two driven through and then the stick taped or tied on both sides of the nails to keep the stick from splitting. Often this was a piece of broom stick or a piece of shovel handle, etc.

In Montana, most carried guns. Many carried backpacks and one whole class of railroad riding vagrants carried 30-30s with sawed off stocks and barrels and short handled 3/4 axes as well as pistols. In DC areas many carried old .38s or derringers of some sort.

Those without weapons often carried a milk bottle full of urine, feces, draino, battery acid, etc., to be thrown in the face of an assailant.

Each area has several different stratas of "homeless" and there are groups and subcultures and each shelter has it's own type of person to some extent...

Just be careful out there. And, more than anything else... speak little if any. Listen and look a lot. Stay in condition ORANGE at all times. Find a safe place to sleep. Stay alert, especially when and where you sleep... IF you are really mixing with the "homeless". If you just plan to work and sleep in a shelter (and I saw a lot of college kids doing such things) and help out at meals, clean up and stuff like that... that is fine but it is NOT being a part of the sub-culture.

The most dangerous thing I saw in the "homeless" subculture is the rampant psychiatric drugs, mixed with street drugs of all sorts, alcohol and paranoia along with fear, and a few scattered hard-core criminals.

I stayed alone, ate in one or two shelters only and only church shelters. I met several street people who proved to be more aware, not on drugs of any sort, and who were willing to partially take me in as a student. However, even those who were willing to be closest to me never really trusted me and neither did I fully trust them. BE CAREFUL...

In general, the REAL "so called homeless" are nearly all on mind altering drugs, armed, fearfully dangerous, and criminal to some degree... do you really want to be part of that culture on purpose????

How about pass on the whole idea?
Think about it, for a lot of areas this is possibly the worst time of year to need aid and now to "experience" what homeless people go through you are going to help use up finite resources allocated to helping those who really need help? Am I the only person who sees several problems with this plan?
Want to know what they go through, bring some food and let them talk to you while they eat the food you have provided. Or else when you are done with this odd little sociological exercise, contribute time and or money to the shelter you took advantage of. Yes, I know a lot of people are probably scamming them but you are the one in college, presumably to get an education to better yourself, yadda yadda yadda.
Most of the scammers just don't care about the effects of their scams on other persons. The street is not a game or amusement park. I really hate to read of a group of college students treating it as such.

YMMV

Last edited:
Back