Kit Carson's House in Taos

Went to Taos. It's not the dusty, lonely and isolated town it was (way before any of us was born). Today it's an artist community.

Kit Carson's house is right off of State Highway 64. There is a reproduction of his mountain rifle in the collection along with two double barrel shotguns that "were in his possession." Ditto with the Brig. Gen. frock coat. Not his, but the shoulder straps were purportedly worn by him. Ditto with the cavalry sabre. It's not an officer's sabre but one for the common cavalryman. The museum doesn't know where his powder horn or his possibles bag is. His gun is in the Mason's at Sante Fe and his leather coat in Trinidad.

His tomb is two blocks away in Kit Carson Park. There were four dope smoking hippies clustered beneath the trees that were behind it.

Like to see that place someday. Carson and John C. Fremont first explored the area of the Great Basin where my home is and his daughter is buried not far from here.

Great area to visit and run some rapids

There is a reproduction of his mountain rifle
Kit owned and original Plaines rifle built by Sam and Jake, that was later used as a reference for non-reproduction Hawken models. Was it there or do you know where it went? Might be in the Smithsonian ?? .... :confused:

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo - I believe his Hawken is in the possession of the Masonic Lodge in Santa Fe - which is what Gary was talking about. A while ago - and I can't remember in which of the Masonic publications I receive - it was pictured with a short article about it.

In the little flyer the museum passed out, it says they used ox blood on the floor and over time, it hardened the dirt to be cement like. I can't imagine the flies or mud when it's wet.

The last time I was in Taos 1968, the 'art' colony was well established. I'm thinking sometime after WW1. What I liked was the classic pueblo with folks walking around in traditional clothes, outdoor ovens and dozens of television antennas attached to it.

Went to Fort Garland today

The cavalry and artillery that fought at Glorietta marched from there. They have what may be a Leman full stock rifle there. It's heavily patched with rawhide at the forearm and the wrist. It was in the possession of Kit Carson II. They have a colonel's shoulder strap that was purportedly worn by Kit Carson. Carson was the commandant there for a while.

Back