Kit 1858 nipple info.

HisSoldier

My brother finished a kit revolver, nominally a Remington 1858 clone made in the 70's. He spent a lot of time working on it and browning it back in the day.

We are both a great deal older now (It might be strange if he got younger while I got older I guess) and somewhere in the interim someone took the original nipples out, and yup, they got lost. He lost the wrench too but I can make him one of those.

He is thinking probably the last line of this;https://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/item.aspx/64/1
I told him it's a crap shoot as if the over all length is too short it won't fire. We can cast fixturing metal in one of the holes to check the pitch and diameter in a few days, but all this would be so much easier if someone of you all happened to have one of those kit guns from the 70's and could measure the nipples.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

And I recognize that there were probably several companies in Spain and Italy in the seventies. Doubtless each had their own idea of what a nipple thread should be.

My Pietta is .230" X .075 M pitch, nominally M6X.075 but a true full 6MM diameter would not fit I'm pretty sure. Overall length of the nipples for that is .534".

You might take the cylinder (only the cylinder, please) to one of the big box stores; they usually have metric thread gauges. Chances are that the nipples you need are either M5.5 x.9 or M6 x.75.

Jim

Thanks guys, too many variables to expect someone to measure theirs, plus likely very few have a kit Remington from the 70's.

Tomorrow we will measure the threads using 158F degree fixturing metal, and perhaps I can deduce the overall length needed from the distance between the hammer at rest and the nipple's seat in the cylinder.

BTW, is it common to have it so the hammer doesn't actually touch the nipple without a cap? I've seen guns with hammered and deformed nipples and it seems to me that if the hammer hit the frame so that it left a thousandth or two between it and the nipple said nipples would last a lot longer.
Thanks,

Or buy a couple of each size from Dixie, then order more of the size that fits and return the others.

Jim

Added: Yes, that is the way the hammer should be fitted, but few makers bother.

JK

BTW, I measured my Uberti nipples today, .233" and 30 TPI. I was surprised as I'd read they were 12-28 recently. the 28 pitch gage was definitely too large, and the 30 fit perfectly.

The major diameter of a 12-28 would be .215" to .2085". So it is a true b****d thread both ways.

I have no idea what the date it was made. A 12-28 would be a deforming fit I'm afraid.

Yes a few thous. clearance is the way to set a cap gun.
I use a punched piece of card stock to snap and check for nipple clearance.
The Italian threads in metric for revolvers are 6x.75 mm. or 5.5x.9 mm. although Uberti did Dragoons and Walkers 1/4x28.

Back