Kirst Conversion

jspappap

I am thinking about getting a 45 Kirst Conversion for my 1858 44 New Army Target . Any advice as to where / when to get it and any pros n cons you want to share would be appreciated

I have one 1858 with a Howell's conversion and one with the Kirst. Both are excellent in fit, finish, and function. That said, it's a slight nuisance to have to remove the Howell's cylinder every time I want to reload. The Kirst, with the loading gate, is more convenient and allows you to do more shooting and less fiddling.

You might contact this gentlemen:

http://www.cartridgeconversion.com

He advertises that he has the best prices on Kirst conversion cylinders on his facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/cartridgeconversion/?ref=br_rs

However, I haven't seen any prices from him. If I was in the market I'd see what he has to offer. Figure you can buy direct from Kirst so any discount would be a cost savings.

He also offers fitting and tuning of the cylinders plus cutting the loading port. Prices for those services seem pretty fair on his website.

I remember him.
That's hoofhearted who is a TFL member.
He was more active on THR.
He had some kind of a connection with Kirst and was able to obtain discounts on their conversions.
He was one of the 1st to announce that Kirst was going to come out with a .22lr conversion.

I have a Howell in 45 Colt for my Remington evolving carbine. Simple in and out.

If you go with a first - isn't the First recoil shield permanently installed (screwed) to the recoil shield of the revolver? If alll you are going to do is shoot cartridge out of the revolver - then the conventence of a loading gate is a plus - if you want to be able to switch back and forth between cartridge and percussion though - I'd gp wot a Howell. They work very well and are fairly quick to reload. I bought my Howell from Taylor's - slipped right in and works perfectly. Good luck whichever wa you go!

I have a R&D Howell .45 Colt cylinder for my ROA. I went with it over the Kirst because I felt the Kirst with the flat bottom ring would be more complicated to install than the R&D which just rolls into place. whereas the Kirst you have to make sure the flat side goes in facing the bottom.

For my Walker I have a Kirst .45 Colt cylinder with a loading gate. It required grinding out the recoil shield so you can breech load but it made sense to go with Kirst on this one because you install it and don't remove it to reload.

Back