king cobra questions

bluetoe

Hi!
I'm new here and I have some questions for people who know a little about revolvers. I just purchased a King Cobra SS 6" recently and I want to know how much cylinder play is normal in a KC. I took it out to the range and test drove it the other day. First time out I held a 1" group at 50' (benchrested). However, it seemed like I was getting a lot of powder blow back. I was using UMC rounds and I know they're hot. Any ideas anyone? I don't know anything about Colt revo's. Thanks!

Hi bluetoe. Welcome to TFL.

I can't answer your question, but I saw your post slipping to the bottom and I thought I'd bump it up.

I have a 6" King Cobra, and I like it a lot. Very nice trigger, and acurate.

By cylinder play, do you mean end shake?

It might just be your ammo. Try another brand. Revolvers tend to give you a little bit of something in the face from time to time. I don't care for UMC ammo myself. But that has more to do with the color of the box than anything else.

Anyway, maybe someone who knows what they're talking about will come along and answer your question.

Most likely it's the ammo. If you check remingtons' website the UMC ballistics are right on the top edge of most reloading manuals. I've shot tons of the stuff in my magnum caliber Rugers, and it always has a lot of muzzle blast and powder flash. Those loads are very hot for factory stuff.

Also, hows the cylinder timing?

Thanks guys, I've done some investigating and I think Ben was right, the ammo was probably just too hot. At first I thought the gap between the cylinder and the barrel was too big. I measured it at .005". It seems to be okay though.

But what is cylinder timing? I'm curious.

I wish there was a Haynes manual for guns like there are for cars.

There is a shop manual, for the Colt, S&W, Ruger, and some of the rifles too.
Go to www.brownells.com and search for KUHNHAUSEN or search for the product number I put in below.

I haven't seen the Colt book, but the S&W one is excellent.

Here's the stock number for Kuhnhausen's Colt II book, which covers the Mk III and King Cobra. 924-200-002
Book one is for the Python, old model Trooper, DS....

Good luck!
:) -Kframe

Cylinder timing is when the latch goes into the indent on the cylinder. It should "click" in just before the hammer falls. To check it make sure the gun is UNLOADED and pull the trigger double action. Whatch the little tooth make sure it clicks into the little groove just before the hammer falls. If not your cylinder could be out of line with the forcing cone which would cause you to "shave" a little off the bullet. If it is off take it to a gunsmith for repair.

Thanks, guys. I got it all worked out. Nothing's wrong with the timing, either. Thanks for all your help. I guess I was a little nervous about this thing, because I've heard horror stories about lemon Colt's and Smith's sucking away your cash to no avail.

BTW, are Python's really that much better than King Cobra's? I've tried the trigger on a Python, it's nice, but I don't think it's worth twice as much as a King Cobra. Am I missing something?

Back