Kind of off beat can question

StiveC2007

Alright the question I have is that im going to be hunting down south and the farm im hunting on is loaded with coyotes and also big deer, ive heard the a plastic bottle over the muzzel quiets the noise, but how well does that work for say a .30-06 rifle, Im thinking that its not gonna work but the reason im asking is I do not want to spook the deer but we want to get rid of as much coyotes as we can. also how legal is it

works well enough to put you in jail...but not well enough to keep a deer from spooking. If you want, register and buy a can....

(1) It's not legal to use that as a suppressor, and (2) it's not legal to hunt game animals in most states (and any animal in some states) with any suppressor.

Interesting second point....im not sure if you can HUNT with one...but taking out yotes for property protection...ehhh....sketchy ask your local game warden...

Don't let it scare you off, it's a little expensive, but it's not that difficult to complete the paperwork for a can (assuming your state is NFA friendly). Check your hunting regs before you give up.

What state is it?

In Texas coyotes and pigs are not game animals. Therefore you can use a silenced rifle,bazooka, or flamethrower:eek: (On private land). If you are caught with a dead deer and that weapon suppressed it's your word against theirs. Best to hunt your deer get your kill. Gut the deer leave them and go call for coyotes after your deer hunting is done.

Unless you have the paper work for a plastic bottle from ATF (never heard of that of course) you are committing a felony by using one or even conspiring to use one and face federal prison time or at least a felony conviction, stiff fine, and several years on probation. Dont get caught by a game warden with one.
If you live in an NFA friendly state just buy an actual suppressor for a couple hundred bucks and do the paper work.

...but not well enough to keep a deer from spooking

Ahem...Uh, academically speaking...how do you know, hmm?

Personally I have no idea how well the plastic bottle suppresses, I seem to remember someone form 1’ed a thread on adapter for them (and also said it was a waist). However on the spooking deer side I do have first hand experience. The law states you can’t use a suppressed rifle to harvest deer nothing about shooting in close proximity. I’ve shot around quite a few deer with suppressed rifles and they look where the bullet impacted, see nothing, and go back to eating.

First, you'll want to check your state laws to make sure that it's even legal to hunt with a (legal) suppressor. Then, decide if you want to legally build one yourself (relatively inexpensive, but more paperwork and elbowgrease) or buy a commercially made one (more expensive, but fairly easy).

However, if you do decide to "roll your own", I would definitely look for a better suppressor design. I seriously doubt just taping a plastic bottle over the muzzle is going to give you the desired result. A cousin of mine in MS tried this once with a .30-06 when we were young, and he told me later that the muzzle blast seemed louder than without the improvised "suppressor". I wouldn't be surprised if this design turned out to be little more than a Hollywood myth.

-Charles

...but not well enough to keep a deer from spooking
Ahem...Uh, academically speaking...how do you know, hmm?

Some of us may be old enough to remember a time when certain companies offered machined adaptors that would thread onto a barrel and have matching threads for 2-litre soda bottles. IIRC, for a time they weren't even required to be registered since they themselves did nothing to suppress a weapon's report.

I have never done it, but it would seem to me that if you taped a plastic soda bottle of the muzzle of a .30-06 rifle and fired said rifle, the plastic bottle would blow apart.
I would also guess that it would have almost no effect on the report of the rifle.

Don't be ghetto. But a real suppressor.

I have a pellet gun that with light pellets is supersonic. If you shoot a heavy pellet it's sub-sonic.

It's normal pellet gun sounding with the heavy pellet going subsonic, but sounds very close to a 22lr when shooting the light pellets supersonic. The faster a bullet travels (super-sonic) the higher the pressure wave and the louder it sounds.

So, if the pop bottle "worked" and removed all sound from the powder firing - the supersonic bullet traveling 2x the speed of sound will still be dern loud. Certainly louder than a .22 and certainly loud enough to spook deer.

But, I doubt that the pop bottle would work worth a hoot with a 30-06!

Agreed but it shows that potatoes and pop bottles fixed to the end of rifle barrels are all around not such a good idea.

Back