Kind of funny, but not.

Mike38

Was at the range yesterday morning by myself, when a group of 5 people came in. One elderly gentleman, I'd guess to be around 75, was talking about how he was excited to shoot his new pistol. He pulled out a High Point .45acp. A young guy, I took it as his grandson, showed him how to hold the pistol, gave him a 5 cent tour on shooting it, loaded one round, and handed it to the new owner. He sent a round and it scared him so bad he dropped the pistol. Shortly later the guy told me it was the very first time in his long life that he shot a handgun. I wanted to offer the use of my High Standard .22 I was shooting, but then thought about him dropping it, so I changed my mind. Kind of wish I would have brought my old Ruger 22/45 with me, I would have let him use it.

Two things here. A new handgun shooter should not be introduced to the hobby with a big heavy handgun such as a High Point. And certainly not in anything like a .45acp. A Ruger 22/45 would have been perfect for him.

But, the guy did run a few more rounds in single shot. Got comfortable with it finally, and ended up able to keep all rounds on paper of a B27 target at 7 yards, so I guess it was a productive day.

Anyhow, a new shooter to the sport, even at an advanced age, is a good thing. Got to remember to keep my old 22/45 in tow for occasions like this.

Keep your Ruger in your shooting bag and let him try it next time you see him. You will also have the chance to shoot it yourself. I love my 22/45 and recently set it up for Steel Challenge. Now I'm breaking it in with 500 rounds of CCI Mini Mags to make sure it will work 100% of the time.

When taking a new shooter to the range, I try to start them on a .22LR and work up from there.

Importantly, though, no matter the gun, I always shoot it first so they get an idea about muzzle blast/recoil, and aren't entirely surprised by it when it's their turn to shoot.

Back