Kind of a weird question but...

USSF

Inactive
Is there a squirrel season in Georgia? Neighbors are complaining about me taking squirrels in my own yard with my airgun. I know it's a felony to shoot across your property line...but this is my own yard. I always thought there wasn't a season for squirrels esp. on your own property. Thanks for any replies.

In TX, squirrels are game animals and may not be shot with an airgun--like any other game animal. Some counties have seasons, some have bag limits, others allow shooting year round and have no bag limits.

My county has no closed season but has a daily bag limit of 10. In the county where I work, there is the same bag limit, but open season is Oct. 1-Feb 6. and the month of May.

All that to say--you're going to have to check your state and local laws. It varies...

Try here--it seems to be a hefty download

http://georgiawildlife.dnr.state.ga.us/assets/documents/Popular Guide.pdf
GEORGIA
2005-2006 HUNTING
SEASONS & REGULATIONS
www.gohuntgeorgia.com

From what I can see it appears that there is a daily bag limit of 12 and the season is from August 15 to February 28. Page 14
Squirrel Statewide August 15 - February 28 12 per day
And, wonder of wonders, airguns appear to be legal for squirrels! Page 7
SMALL GAME & FURBEARER FIREARMS:
Rifles and Handguns: Any .22-cal. or
smaller rimfire, air rifle, or any
muzzleloading firearm (scopes legal).
Shotguns: Any having shot shell size 3.5
inches or smaller in length with No. 2 or
smaller shot.
You should probably do the download or get a hard copy. There are some special regs for different areas.

It's also worth noting that there is usually some kind of allowance for land-owners to elimate pests on their own property. I didn't find anything along those lines, but a call to the game commission might be productive.

Thanks for the info...a couple hours after I posted that, I actually had time to research it at georgiaoutdoors.com. There is a season (dang). I'm not really into hunting I just take squirrels in my backyard when the become a problem, but does that mean I'm not allowed to shoot them in my own backyard? But don't worry about humane kills. I have a .25 caliber airgun that shoots 25 gr. pellets around 650-700fps.

I do eat them...I eat every game animal I kill. Thanks for being so helpful Para Bellum. Did you not read my earlier post?
I'm not really into hunting I just take squirrels in my backyard when the become a problem

Last edited:
squirrel PROBLEM

Thanks for being so helpful Para Bellum. Did you not read my earlier post?

1. Welcome, anytime. ;)

2. Nope, didn't, sorry.

(I just wonder how a squirrel can become a problem. Maybe you have a nuclear power station around and 300 pund squirrels....... eeeh, just kidding ;) )

Squirrels can become a problem when they:
  • Steal all of the birdfeed from the feeders.
  • Gnaw on your house or other objects.
  • Short your electrical transformers.
  • Constantly awaken the daysleeping homeowner (who works nights) with their mating ritual chases back and forth across the roof.
  • Bury thousands of pecans throughout your yard for winter... and then remembering where only dozens of the pecans were buried. (Instant miniature lawn forest!)
  • Create a target-rich environment that makes you twitch, even when company is over... :D

I would call my local dnr and ask them, but I would think that if you are the landowner and the animal is a nuisance on your land you should be able to kill them regardless of season or hunting license.

Certainly understand

I enjoy the few long tailed tree rats in my yard - but they are occasionally a pain (noisy) and I can understand anybody who gets fed up with them. If I wanted a perfectly manicured backyard - I'd hafta take em out. And if they start chewing wires they'll be history.

Funny thing is - I've got 4 squirrels and 1 ground squirrel (as best as I can tell). Occasionally I throw a handful of peanuts out the back patio and all the squirrels grab 1 nut and run off to the base of a tree to munch. In the meantime the ground squirrel will pack his pouched mouth full of up to 3 at a time - and making multiple trips - will clean up! He must be sitting on a gold mine of peanuts down his little hole.

Now that little fella has a plan :)

"As God is my witness...I thought turkey's could fly"

I have a .25 caliber airgun that shoots 25 gr. pellets around 650-700fps.
How do you like your Beeman Kodiak/Webley Patriot? ;)
does that mean I'm not allowed to shoot them in my own backyard?
Call the game commision--in many cases, there are special allowances to permit a land ownerto deal with pests on his own property.

I've had a red fox here and it has taken the mice, squirrels and woodchucks !!First time ever that I haven't shot a woodchuck here,

I shoot them in my yard ocasionally with an air rifle when they really piss me off robbing the bird feeder.... rats with bushy tails. Lots still left. Tomato plants like em! Natural Fertilizer.

Squirrels can become a problem when they:
Steal all of the birdfeed from the feeders.

Gnaw on your house or other objects.

Short your electrical transformers.

Constantly awaken the daysleeping homeowner (who works nights) with their mating ritual chases back and forth across the roof.

Bury thousands of pecans throughout your yard for winter... and then remembering where only dozens of the pecans were buried. (Instant miniature lawn forest!)

Create a target-rich environment that makes you twitch, even when company is over...

Allright, buddy, I give in. Our Austrian Houses ara ll bricks and concrete, our electrical suff is behind steel boxes and/or under ground and I mostl work days...

I too am in Georgia; been in new house three yrs, have a very prolific pear tree and have yet to get a single pear couse the tree rats eat em all!
Nuisance

Back