Kimbers horrible finish

PLASTIC SIG

I was at my local gun shop today (fallout shelter in woodleaf NC) and i noticed alot of the kimbers have this rough looking, kind of pitted finish. To me, and this is just my opinion, the finish looks like a bad paint job. I dont see why anyone would want to spend $900 on a gun that looks that way. The stainless finished ones look great. but the others i saw looked really bad. My brother also commented that it looks like it had rusted, then spray painted over. The salesman said thats the bead blasted finish. Anyone own one of these? is there a purpose for having the finish so rough?

Im not downing kimber. I just dont understand why a gun of such popularity (and high price) would look that bad.

Tim :)

Tim, I guess you're not alone. When Kimber came out with their "Kimfinish" for their guns, I was left cold. It's blotchy, looks cheap and probably isn't any more durable over the long run than standard finishes.

Come to think about it, that reminds me of most of the women I knew many years back. ;)

Dick

except a CZ-75 or 85 with the polymer finish. Blue looks nice on a new gun but looks like dog do-do after a bit of use.Blue and out of the box is blue=do-do. I have a few guns with nice blueing and they have to be treated special to still look good.

I felt sort of stupid for buying hand checkered exotic wood grips to put on my Kimber Custom Classic. The grips looked great, but made the poor finish on the pistol look even poorer. Needless to say my Kimber is at the gunsmith getting an overhaul, which includes a deep blue finish.

JJCII

The great thing about a blued slide is it's cheap to get re-finished.. $50 Quite a bit more for the polymer.

Ignore ALL factory finishes.

Save pennies.

Collect sky-high stack.

Send pennies and gun to Robar for NP3 finish.

Receive gun back, be happy forever afterward.

(Sell all gun lubricants you've experimented with over the years to recoup cost of Robar NP3.)

Back