Kimber Ultra Ten

Mike in VA

Anyone seen/handled one of these beasties yet? I surfed into Kimber's website and saw this thing - an Ultra Carry built on a chopped polymer frame, stainless slide with a short 10 round double stack magazine for a 10+1, 25 oz subcompact 1911. Looked nice on the site, has a bunch of appeal as pocket rockets go ( I love my Ultra Carry), and if this weren't a family site, I'd admit to a little tingling in my nether regions. Anybody got the the real slim shady ($$?)on this? I mean, I might even pay MSRP fer one uh these.
M2

Mike, I don't know about the suposedly revamped Polymers, but the earlier doublestack Kimbers had spotty reliability. Seems to have something to do with a frame ramp insert. Anyway, I think I saw one at Shooters Paradise in Woodbridge(coulda been a full size though) for around $700.

Tingling... Nether... :eek:

Mike, the one Kimber Polymer I played with had serious fit problems, but it was a full size, and that was a couple of years ago.

If you are interested in compact high capacity polymer 1911s, check out the Executive (I think thats its name) at http://www.stiguns.com Their high capacity frames have a really good reputation.

I played with the prototype at the NBS distributor show in Ft. Worth last month. Pretty neat little gun. The triggerguard's been rounded. It still doesn't look like it will fit in conventional leather, though. The dustcover looks too big.

Up close, the plastic trigger looks very cheap. I can't complain too much; I'm an admitted glockaholic, so plastic triggers shouldn't bother me.

Wonder how much their mags are? That alone would keep me from buying one. If you're considering a wide-body, just get a Para. Now, with a name like "Ultra Ten" I was REALLY hoping for a 10mm model.

The Ultra II is the cover story in the new Handgunner. I just scanned the article, but they didn't mention the new firing pin block, even though it was obvious from the photo of the stripped gun that the block linkage was in place.

I second PKN's post. The Polymer double stack I had two years ago was terrible with respect to reliability. Not so with Kimber's other models (singles) that I and other peers have.

Back