Kimber Ultra Carry

Status
Not open for further replies.

umstud

Howdy folks, I am preparing to purchase my third handgun. I recently paid down on a Vector CP-1 but I am having second thoughts. I have become interested in the Kimber Ultra Carry .45. I need as much information on this pistol as possible from all you experts out there. I now own a Walther P99 (.40) and a HK USPc (.45). I chose these guns because they are fairly concealable and they have a large/comfortable grip since I have very large hands. Will the Kimber by a good choice and what should I expect to pay for the ultra carry. If not the ultra carry, what other model of Kimber.

I've got an Ultra Elite or actually my wife does. It's the custom shop model of the ultra carry. We were gonna get the ultra carry but when we added up further modifications(ambi safety, nite sites, and wood grips) the cost difference was about $100. Add the cost of the Kimpro finish and meltdown treatment( about $200 each) and spending the extra $$ made sense to me. As for the pistol itself, it is fantastic. Very accurate and reliable. Recoil is manageable due to the double recoil spring arrangement. My Glock 27 40S&W recoils more. Our carry load is Federal Personal Defense 165gr. I think light and fast makes more sense out of such a short barrel gun. Only thing I've added is Wilson Combat magazines. They make a 8 rd extended mag that I use for a reload. I highly recommend this pistol. Let us know if you pick one up. Later, Byerly

I own the Ultra Carry and the Gold Match Kimbers. I would hate to have to choose between them.

The Ultra Carry is remarkable for the fact that it has very little incremental recoil, despite being much smaller than the full size gun. And it is incredibly accurate.

Assembly/Reassembly was a little bit of a bear on the UC, but that may be just because it is new and tight.

The finish details on the Gold Match which I got in stainless are remarkable -- which of course is secondary to the fact that it shoots very accurately and is extremely reliable. But it is also nice!

I traded a Walther PPK/S for the Ultra Carry and have no regrets. The asking price of the Ultra Carry was 625 in black and 675 in ss. You may do better than this.

I have held the high cap polymers but wasn't particularly interested. I think the polymer frames are made for them by the Israeli firm BULL.

I have no second thoughts about going with Kimber.

I love Kimbers, except for the takedown procedure which I think is ridiculous (even when you get accustomed to doing it)- but even so, they are great handguns- I have a Combat Carry, and its been flawless- very accurate also. A Kimber would make a nice addition to the other great guns you have already. I don't know how much an Ultra Carry is, but if you are going to carry it- you might want to consider the new Ltd Ultra Elite (pricier though)- has meltdown treatment, night sights, special finish, aluminum trigger, checkered front strap, Ambi safety, Rosewood grips. But of course, a standard Ultra carry would be real nice also.

FWIW,
I have a gold match, and went down to get the ultra carry in stainless. But when I realized it only has a 3" barrel which amounts to a 2" barrel in a revolver, I couldnt do it. and I dont regret it.

I got the Compact Custom Classic. It has a 4" or true 3" barrel. I shot it sunday night at a pin match and got 3 out of 5 pins at 50 yards. I am glad I didnt go for the smaller one. The Compact is the same size as the officers, and conceals perfectly. I replaced a Glock g29 with it. it is smaller, and more accurate.

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

I agree with 10mmrules. I recently purchased a Pro Elite with the 4" barrel. The only problem I have is with the slide lock and the mainspring housing. The slide lock is a Metal Injection Molded (MIM) part, and it broke after 150 rounds. I have since ordered a replacement from Wilson. The mainspring housing is plastic, which will be replaced by a Smith and Alexander steel housing. A lot of manufacturers are using MIM parts to save on costs, with the exception of the high-end 1911s like Wilson, Ed Brown, Les Baer, etc... I still believe that Kimber provides an excellent pistol for the cost, and you can't really go wrong.

------------------
Strength does not come from physical capacity.
It comes from an indomitable will. -- Mahatma Gandhi

Footnote to earlier post:

FYI, Soldier of Fortune magazine for Nov 99, pp. 56-60, has a VERY detailed review of the Ultra Carry written by Peter Kokalis, SOF's Technical Editor. More technical detail than I can absorb, but as comprehensive a review as I've read of any firearm. He endorses the gun enthusiastically.

Developed carry loads for one, fired another new one last week. Excellent fit/finish, both accurate, both shot low regardless of weight and/or velocity.

Nice if you must have a tiny 45 not bad!

I prefer a full-size 1911, or a mouse.

(I carry a M20)

------------------
"All my ammo is factory ammo"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back