Kimber Ultra Carry CPD with more power?

brouhaha

Is the Kimber Ultra Carry frame strong enough to load it up with .45 Super, .40 Super, 450 SMC, or 460 Rowland? I realize that I would at least be forced to upgrade the recoil spring, but I don't want to destroy such a fine gun by shooting something it simply can't handle. I don't have the Kimber yet, but I would like to get one this summer. It seems like it would be REAL easy to conceal.

Thanks

In a word NO. Aluminum frames were not meant for that sort of abuse. Aluminum frames will wear out or in my case actually break much sooner than steel frames. The Ultra Carry was made to be a very accurate .45 CC gun. It is light weight, but shoots a big bullet. It makes an excellent CC gun in the caliber prescribed.

You can shoot +P ammo in it, but don't do it much and only do it with a new set of springs. Springs should be changed about every 1000 rounds to help maintain the aluminum frame.

I am thinking you probably have not shot a .460 Rowland. The .460 conversion comes with a compensator that blasts a lot of power upwards in order to control recoil/muzzle flip. The compensator adds an extra inch to the length of the gun. Aside from adding length to the CDP, I think you would need to add a lot more compensator to make up for the light weight of the gun. It just would not work out.

You're right...

I haven't shot a Rowland. I was just wanting to cover all the bases in one question. How much more powerful is 45 Super than 45 +p? With a heavier spring, do you think it would be safe for carry purposes only? I figure if the gun will feed 45ACP , then it should have no trouble feeding 45 Super with the same type of bullet. Therefore, I wouldn't need to test fire the prescribed 200 or so rounds to ensure there's no problem with my carry ammo. Maybe it's not such a good idea. I value everyone's opinion here. Can anyone recommend something similar with a steel frame that could take the abuse?

Back