Kimber target conversion kits - no good!

ackley man

Before I relate my recent experience, here are a couple gems from a well-known pistol smith:
A customer brought in a custom shop Super Match II with the complaint that he had tried several factory loads and none of them would chamber. Upon inspection the smith found that the chamber had only been rough reamed. It’s no wonder a round wouldn’t chamber. How does a piece leave their custom shop then get through final inspection. Clearly the piece was never test fired.
A Pro CDP was brought in by a customer who is a very proficient handgun shooter indicating that he couldn’t get the piece to shoot reasonable groups and wanted it re-barreled. The smith inspected the piece and found that the barrel crown looked as if it had been cut with a dull or broken cutter then someone tried to use a hand file to straighten out the crown. Again, how does a piece like that pass final inspection and test firing?

Now, my Kimber fiasco - I purchased a Kimber 1911 .22 conversion kit. As with all firearms, that I buy, I always completely clean, lube and bore scope the chamber and barrel before range testing. The Kimber conversion kits are advertised as having a “match grade barrel and bushing.” When the barrel was bore scoped, I found that it was littered with pits like you would see in a very old barrel that had rust pits (see photo). I contacted Kimber who requested that the kit be sent in. Along with the kit I included bore scope photos and a note that read: “Since the pits are just too deep to be polished or lapped out without changing the bore diameter, I am requesting that you please replace the barrel at your earliest possible convenience.” I received the kit back with the following repair slip notations: “Adjusted extractor, refinished barrel, reamed and polished chamber.” Perfect! The extractor did not need adjustment. The chamber did not need reaming or polishing when previously viewed with my bore scope and I specifically stated that the barrel pits could not be corrected with lapping or polishing. So, I again bore scope the barrel and low and behold it is still littered with pits (see photo). Kimber is again contacted and sent bore scope photos and again the kit is shipped back to them. Now I am told that they do not have any kits in stock and do not have any parts for them. Two months go by and not a word from Kimber so I send them notice that per the Magnuson Moss act that governs warranties I would like a refund. Crickets! A week later, after another note to Kimber, I receive a call from them indicating that they now have some barrels. It must have been a miracle! Again, the kit is shipped to them. I receive the kit back with the following repair slip notes: “Polished firing pin housing, replaced and polished barrel, test fired, inspected, cleaned and oiled.” Got out the bore scope again and wow! The new barrel has broach cutter chatter marks and gouges the likes that I have never seen before (see photo). Chatter marks on the lands and grooves, especially if they are perpendicular to the bore, unquestionably result in immediate bore fouling and loss of accuracy. I contact Kimber yet again, send bore scope photos yet again. Kimber asks if I test fired the piece. At this point, based on the condition of the barrel, test firing would be pointless but I agreed to take it to the range. 40 rounds fired and at 25 rounds groups were 7 ½” at 10 yards. I re-bore scope the barrel and found it heavily lead fouled, gee what a surprise! (see photo). After sending bore scope photos again to Kimber I have another conversation with them that ends with: “We don’t believe we can meet your expectations.” In other words, we advertise the kit as having a match grade barrel but we just don’t have the capability to make one!! How can a barrel that is advertised as being match grade but actually looks like a corrugated sewer pipe be inspected and sent out to a customer? A few days later I receive a call from a customer service manager who says: “We’ll refund your purchase price but you have to sign our release and return the kit to us first. It will take over two weeks, after we receive the kit, to issue you a check. If you don’t agree then we understand and wish you well.” Being that I have absolutely no trust in their ability to handle anything or honor what they say I suggested that the check be issued first or that the two weeks to issue a check be reduced to 5 days. Kimber would not agree to either of the modified terms. Since I found Kimber to be untrustworthy and their agreement terms to be unreasonable and unacceptable, I now have invested $400 in a paper weight.

Shooting sports are supposed to be fun. A customer should not have to put up with substandard manufacturing, failed repairs and inept customer service.

I wouldn’t own another Kimber if someone gave me one for free. At Kimber quality control is completely nonexistent and they absolutely don’t have the desire or ability to meet reasonable customer requests and expectations. Hell, they can’t even manufacturer products that meets their own advertised standards. Kimber needs to change their company logo to: “We manufacture garbage and hope to sell it to misinformed idiots.”

Attachments

• Kimber conversion barrel-crop.jpg
    Kimber conversion barrel-crop.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 130
  • Kimber conversion bore after repair d.jpg
    Kimber conversion bore after repair d.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Kimber replacement barrel.jpg
    Kimber replacement barrel.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 115
It looks like a stucco barrel and unfortunately you are the stuccee. Your post reads like a Bram Stoker horror story. I can’t believe Kimber treated you in such a dismissive manner. Good luck trying to get a positive resolution with them.

Ackley, The half dozen centerfire Kimbers I've owned have been good guns.

That being said though, if I'd had anything like your experience, I'd be fed up with Kimber
too.

So sorry for the OP's troubles.

I suppose I would have sent back the entire kit and would only suspect a check would be issued within 2 weeks (but so what if it takes another week or two).

OP, you're out the money by your choice, but that's ok, it's you choice and money.

I'm also done with Kimber after having three 1911s over the years, but now down to only one.

The recent issue was Kimber having me send in my slide for a mere front sight replacement (sight fractured with tritium vial gone while shooting), only to then have Kimber send me an email telling me they could not replace the front sight (after I paid $16 to ship the slide back). No explanation was given when asked other than the model is discontinued/old/no-longer-current. A week and a half later I received my slide back, btw.

All they would have needed to do was press out the existing broken front sight; obtain a new .150" front night sight and press it in. I would have paid them the $80 or whatever they quoted me. I don't like companies which waste my time. I've since filed the rough part of the front sight, smooth, and merely painted over the backside of that sight.

For most casual shooters, I suppose a Kimber 1911 will suit them just fine and they'd otherwise be OK with the brand unless they're a higher round-count person. I've got just under 30k rounds on this one 1911 and it's been generally good, but I'd likely recommend a different brand to somebody else if asked.

I've not owned every brand by far in 1911-land, but my Springfield-Armory has been good. I've considered Dan Wesson and S&W but, so far, haven't bought one. I always tell myself no more 1911s, after owning many (currently down to four).

OP, again, sorry for those Kimber troubles.:(

Attachments

• IMG_0595.jpeg
    IMG_0595.jpeg
    550.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I'm sorry to see such poor barrel production. I'd opt for a refund.

I have a Kimber 1911 .22 conversion upper that I bought 10 years ago that has been flawless. It seems their QC has gone into the toilet.

Sampling is the QC mode of operation in most all large manufacturing operations these days. Kimber is no different and unfortunately not alone in letting bad products out the door.

It is the reason customer service has become such a common topic, as it is needed much more often these days IMO.

Like Willie, I have an older Kimber .22 (bought as a complete pistol), along with two .17 Mach 2 uppers, and they have all served me well, but that doesn't excuse the OP's bad experience.

I, too, would have taken the refund.

Kimber used to be a tony niche market with excellent quality. Somebody decided we're so popular we can do it all!! uuuh, no you can't and no you couldn't.
If you peel back the brand, you'll find where the original people took the money and ran. In came the hucksters. To bad.

ackley man......... I receive a call from a customer service manager who says: “We’ll refund your purchase price but you have to sign our release and return the kit to us first.
Thats normal. I don't know of many in the gun biz that would send you a refund check before the firearm is returned.

It will take over two weeks, after we receive the kit, to issue you a check. If you don’t agree then we understand and wish you well.” Being that I have absolutely no trust in their ability to handle anything or honor what they say I suggested that the check be issued first or that the two weeks to issue a check be reduced to 5 days. Kimber would not agree to either of the modified terms.
Good for them. They seem to be abiding by the terms clearly stated in their warranty.https://www.kimberamerica.com/warranty

Since I found Kimber to be untrustworthy and their agreement terms to be unreasonable and unacceptable, I now have invested $400 in a paper weight.
If I were Kimber I would be embarrassed at that barrel. They aren't. Send it back, get a refund, move on, never buy another Kimber.

Back