Kimber--strange thing on invoice

ShooterDave

I would like to relay an observation for the rest of you Kimber owners to respond to. I recently received a part from Kimber to replace one that broke on my original Custom Classic (they sent me a new mainspring housing, though I'm not sure what kind of gun the new housing fits but it ain't for a 1911). Anyway, the part's cost was covered under warranty and the invoice stated this. But what was strange was what it said further down the invoice-in big letters it read "Gun has been test fired and functions reliably" (or words close to that since I don't have it in front of me)

Now, why the heck would they print that on an invoice where no gun was involved??? The cynical part of me wants to say that the disclaimer prints out automatically whenever something is covered under warranty, which of course would then make me wonder if they really test all returned guns for reliability. Anyone else noticed this?

Am I crazy to be concerned about this?

No comment... welp, OK, sounds typical of the QC (or lack thereof) I keep hearing about...

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

The guys at Kimber told me they automatically test fire firearms that are sent in for repairs. I suppose they automatically print that on the invoice too. I was also told the customer can specify that the pistol go through two sets of test firing by two different employees of the custom shop.

Mine is in for repairs now and will be test fired by Richard (the guy working on it) and then by Joe. Sounds like good quality control, but I think it is up a couple of steps from the norm and by request only.

Shooterdave, How did you get through?
I called Kimber's 800 # and was refered to another #. (toll call for me) I think their custom shop to order a new front sight. Tried a few times and couldn't get anyone. How did you order from them?
Lou

That may be a standard item on all Kimber service invoices. As far as I know - when they do get a gun in - it gets fed at least 20 rounds. This comes from an asociate who is a big Kimber fan. I can see why. Some Kimbers are absolutely great. Other have some faults.

------------------
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud
We, the people, are tired of being taxed, penalized, supervised, harassed,
and subjugated by a federal government which exceeds the powers
enumerated in the U.S. Constitution.

Lou, how did I get through??--Luck I think.
I actually emailed them. Best I can tell they don't respond to email (no replies in six tries), but my message
contained all the info they needed to send a part off to me w/o having to email me back. Too bad they
sent the wrong part.

Rik, I might be paranoid...at least that's what everyone's saying behind my back :)

Still, having that print automatically on a reciept seems dubious--what if everytime you fill up your car with
gas, the reciept comes back saying "checked fluids, breaks, and tires--all OK? " Might make me think
twice about their automotive repair services.

Bianchi,
the number for kimber is (914)964-0742....Ext 228 is the custom shop, and George is the manager. He will do anything he can to help you.

------------------
10MM Magnum.... tried the rest, now I got the best

Hi, Ankeny,

Just curious, but if they have such good QC, why is your pistol in for repairs in the first place?

Jim

Jim Keenan:

Now don't go getting me all riled up again. My Kimber is in for repairs because it was all screwed up right out of the box. I sent it in the first time and it came back with the same problem and a new problem induced by parts swapping as well as cosmetic damage (chunks ground out of the inside of the slide). It is in for repairs the second time around. I am kind of wondering if they have “underlings” doing run of the mill repairs while their real master craftsmen do the high end custom work.

It appears as though if you make reasonable requests and stay with it, the Custom Shop is capable of doing quality work. Furthermore, the quality control on the Custom Shop guns appears to be very good if you get the right people involved. Joe, at the Custom Shop, told me the guys would fire every brand of ammunition they have on hand to ensure reliability of the pistol. He also told me he would fire and inspect the pistol himself after the other guys repair and shoot it. Having said that, I haven’t received the pistol back yet, but I have Kimber’s assurances that I will be getting the best work they are capable of performing. I am anxious to see what their best work looks like.

In another post I made light of the fact that the regional manager for sales told me he would have the “boys” throw in a goodie, like a spare magazine, to cover my shipping expenses and frustrations. Turns out the "goodie" will be checkering the front strap at 30 lines per inch (a $179.00 value) as well as do their best reliability package. Maybe the “Lemon” I got was a blessing in disguise. After all, when everything is said and done, I will have the “best” they are capable of. I’ll let you know how their best stacks up.

None of this is surprising to me. I USED to have a Kimber, until I had a problem and sent it to them THREE times, (yes, they were telling me the same crap) and George kept telling me that they'd never had a problem with the slide locks (how many problems have you guys heard of?). I finally raised so much H@*l that they agreed to give me a new gun...I sold it unfired and bought a Springfield Armory. Best gun trade I've ever made. I have a serious grudge against Kimber and a personal grudge against their team of idiot gunsmiths lead by the lying orangutan (sp?) George. (much more happened that I don't feel like typing for an hour about, but I promise to you all I did nothing but try to foster a good customer-manufacturer relationship...they didn't care.

Hmmm...just when I was becoming a bit more optimistic and along comes Frontsight. Seriously, for a minute I thought it was just me. Oh well, I have already contacted the Consumer Protection Division of the Attorney General's Office and Small Claims Court, just in case.

Ankeny, Rikwriter will prolly buy your jamamatic off ya! ;)

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Naw, I don't need to buy his, G, my Kimbers work just fine, and I can't imagine any gun more perfect than my Gold Match, so anything else would be a letdown.

I received the replacement high-cap mag from Kimber this week and hope this solved the problem with my Polymer. I probable won't get to a range until January, so we'll see. So far, the guys in the custom shop have been great to work with. Of course, I'd rather have everything perfect out-of-the-box, but the alternatvie is an unresponsive manufacturer who won't help you out. So, I'll be patient for now...

RikWriter, just in case we find ourselves in a pi$$ing contest, I want to say this: I am honestly glad you've gotten good service out of your Kimber. You would feel very differently if you'd gotten the run-around that I got (a total of 37 E-mails, three letters, three trips to the factory for the same problem, a flat-out lie from the "big-cheese" as they called him, and much more...) they made an enemy out of me for life, and they knew when we dissolved our customer-manufacturer relationship that they would loose a lot of business because of me...please understand that all I'm doing is trying to make them straighten up or go out of business. (I know that I can't do this as I'm just one guy, but by God I'll get a couple thousand out of 'em)

Frontsight, I'm sorry to hear you had problems with servicing your pistol. Maybe a few bad experiences straightened them up? So far, they've been fine to me with reasonable service. Of course, I'd rather not have to deal with any problems. I've never had any trouble with other hand or long guns from any manufacturer until now. The reason for all the problems is a mystery to me, but my take is that they manufacture slides, frames, and ?barrels with aftermarket everything else. This together with close tolerances might lead to some problems. I know my Kimber Polymer is really a BUL M-5. I've spoken with the BUL people also and found that this gun requires some personal attention. Every BUL M-5 is assembled by a gunsmith, so problems are fewer. Just one opinion...

Frontsight: Sorry to hear that you've had a bad time with Kimber too. I hope I never have to deal with their customer service department. Why don't you post your experience under a new topic heading?...I mean sending to the factory 3 times is pretty serious.

[This message has been edited by ShooterDave (edited December 17, 1999).]

If you really have to own a Kimber, and you want true reliability, buy any Glock, write "Kimber" on the slide with a magic marker, and you'll be trouble-free for a couple of hundred thousand rounds. :)

------------------
Shoot to kill; they'll stop when they're dead!

I had decided not to post anything on this thread, because I felt that everything that needed to be said had been said-the guys with the problem Kimbers have a legitimate gripe, the guys with no problem...well, no problem. I finally decided to add my 2 cents of anecdotal evidence because it looks like the men are massing to burn the Kimber factory and tar and feather George. I have a "Royal Carry" from the custom shop. It is a beautiful pistol,100% reliable for the not more than 500 rounds through it from 3 brands of mags I have. When I bought it (used) it grouped below point of aim by 2 inches at 7 yards. I called George at the custom shop and discussed replacing the non-adjustable Tritium sights and was perfectly willing to pay for them. I thought this was the only option since you can't grind near the tritium vials to regulate them. He could have slapped 'em on there and charged me the $140 or whatever and I would have been satisfied. Instead, he talked to me about how I used the gun and talked me out of the sight purchase, telling me he believed he could fix it much more cheaply. In a few days, my Pro Carry with a new barrel was back in my hand-perfectly regulated P.O.A./P.O.I.....No charge, just a note that the problem was the barrel and to let them know if there were any more problems. Additonally, two guys in my IDPA group shoot a total of 3 Kimbers. The only trouble I have seen is with the polymer Hi-cap. I think that you just can't fool mother nature......1911's are geneticly single stack. The owner of the polymer thinks it's a magazine or ratty reload problem. Like I say, just limited observation but it was getting a bit warm in this thread. Thanks for listening.

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited December 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited December 17, 1999).]

[This message has been edited by Jhp147 (edited December 18, 1999).]

Back