Kimber Stainless Owners: what do you use to clean the exterior of your gun?

selfdefense4me

I recently bought an Ultra Carry Stainless with modifications (ambi-safety, accurail installed, trigger/action job, tritium night sights, Hogue CocoBolo grips with finger indentations). It's the first Colt-design I've owned.

I noticed in the owner's manual that Kimber strongly advises not to use any solvents on the stainless steel parts. In the past, on my Glocks and snubbies, I would often use a mild solvent (on a patch) on the exterior to remove the gunk/residue from the slide or front of the barrel, then apply something like BreakFree as a cleaner/lubricant.

Since I want to treat my new baby right, what do you experienced Kimber stainless owners use to maintain exterior appearance without damaging the finish?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

As with my other handguns, I first wipe my Kimber down with Hoppe's #9, and then do a final wipe with one of several oils.

That's interesting, about the warning. I didn't remember a warning in the manual that came with my year-old Stainless Gold Match and didn't see one when I looked. In fact, instruction number 2 in the cleaning section says "Brush the bore and chamber with a good quality powder-removing solvent." So the barrel is stainless and they say brush...so...here's another way.

If it's really filthy and I want it to sparkle, I use number 9 on a toothbrush on the inside and on a rag on the outside. Now I have a mess and use a spray cleaner for a quick rinse. It doesn't take much. After it dries I spray/wipe with Sheath and let it dry before I lube it and put it back together. Or...lube, assemble and then Sheath.

I use the other methods too and make up my own as I go. I've been messing around with different cleaning and lubing combinations for 40 years and, near as I can tell, they all work more or less. Some cleaners are harsh and some oils attract a lot of grit and lint. Unfortunately, I probably still have a half a bottle of each one.

John

Back