Kimber Solo

Prof Young

Looking at a used Kimber Solo. On line reviews are not so complimentary. Anyone out there have experience with Kimber Solo?

Life is good.
Prof Young

Prior to Kimber's release of its Kimber Solo to the public, a limited number were shipped to some major dealers for testing and market promotion. I own one of those Solos.

I shot it a bit after I bought it, and it has been in the safe since that time.

I do not care for the gun. It is not comfortable to shoot. It is a nice carry, but all my carry guns get plenty of range time. And this is simply not a gun I could shoot much.

I have a lightweight scandium j-frame 357 with a similar story.

I doubt I will ever shoot or carry the gun again. There are too many other small 1911 9s that serve the same purpose but are easy to actually shoot.

BOARHUNTER

Have had no problems with mine but I only shoot the Kimber recommended ammo. Gun seems to be of good quality and is accurate for its size. Trigger is smooth with a clean let off.

A range officer here and all my customers had problems. One kept the gun but it had to go back to Kimber three times for work.
Personally, I would not purchase one as there are many more options in that category than there were just a few years ago.

I kept and carried mine for a couple of years. As long as I used Kimber recommended ammo the gun cycled well enough. After a few hundred rounds, I could even use almost any ammo most of the time. I found it easy to shoot with a nice smooth trigger and extremely accurate out to 10 yards. I finally gave up on it because it was so difficult to manipulate by hand. Hard to rack. Impossible to load a full magazine after putting a round in the chamber and reloading. I came to realize I'd never be able to change mags if needed in a hurry. I've been carrying a Shield .45ACP. Then bought a Micro9 for a smaller gun. Very hard to pull the trigger. Also hard to pull hammer back. Thinking m/b the SIG 365 is the way to go for a really small carry gun. However, the Shield .45ACP is only a little larger than any of the pistols I mentioned and much easier to handle. Plus, it shoots very soft for that caliber and it very accurate. If the price right, the SOLO might be a good buy.

I bought one in March of '15, and it wouldn't make it through a single magazine without a failure. Different magazines, same results. After struggling through a 150 or so rounds of various loads, including their own recommended factory loads, I replaced it with a Kahr CM9 and forgot about it. In February last year, I came across it and called Kimber about it. They sent a pre-paid label and off it went. When I got it back three weeks later, the ticket said the frame had been replaced as being "out of spec". It works fine now, with everything I've tried in it.

I really wanted to love my Kimber Solo, but I just couldn't trust it. I had already sent it back to Kimber a few years ago. They pretty much replaced everything from the frame up and it worked fine for awhile. Recently, I stopped by the range for an impromptu practice session and experienced several FTFs. Replaced it with a Sig 365.

Back