kimber sights

DHL

Inactive
all i heard about kimber sights were how tight they were.
i read post where people had hard time adjusting their sights because kimber sights are so tight. even with right tools they are difficult to move.
well, couple of month ago front sight on my kimber CDP PRO came right off while i was shooting.
i sent back to kimber and got it fixed.
about a week a go i noticed my rear sight was shifted a lot to the right.
is it my luck with kimber or is ther anyone who had similar problem?

I haven't had that problem, but I wonder if you got enough solvent in the setscrew to allow it to work itself loose. That happens to me with grip screws and other threaded parts.

Dick

DHL

I retail the Custom 1911 and the production 1911.

This is what I was told by some of the custom gunsmiths and also some of the "so called" gunsmiths but it does make sense.

You just have a gun with the dovetail cut that was cut by a new dovetail cutter blade.

Kimber makes or produces about 40,000 guns a year. So the milling blade or whatever machine used to make the dovetail cut wears. New blade/cutter; closer to or original spec dovetail; looser or more exact sight fit: easiser to adjust. Old blade/cutter; smaller than original spec; hence tighter sight fit; harder to adjust or move.

Since the sights do not change tolerances as they are cast or so I'm told, the only variable left is the dovetail cutter/blade.

The retail operation I work for moved multiple hundred Kimbers last year and the higher end Kimbers (CDP's and those with nightsights) seemed to have the sights that were able to be adjusted to the shooter. Meaning loosen the set screw and drift with a non-metalic drift. This is from the customer comments on the guns and having to make a few adjustments for customers.

I hope this helps

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

You get what you pay for front end or back end.

Back