Kimber problem!!!

Busted

Just got a new Kimber Pro Carry with the polymer frame. It has the 14 round mag. Today as I was shooting my first 50 rounds through it, it had 4 failure to feed malfunctions. I am of the belief that if it jams once.... it will jam again. I really like this peice and do not want to get rid of it! Any suggestions? Should I wait to see if the "Break-in" period fixes the problem?
Thanks!

1911s require a break in period of 100-500 rounds. That MAY fix the problem. However, Kimber Polymers suposedly have issues with the feed ramp and magazines. Due to the propritery magazines, this can be a problem. There are also several well established "tweaks" to the extractor and/or feedramp that may help. I would like to know why you hold the belief that if it jams once it will jam again? Alot of malfunctions are caused by ammo.

I am far from any expert but you have one of four possible problems.

1. Ammo
2. Magazine
3. Gun
4. Operator

Usually it is one of the first two.

I retail the Custom 1911 and also handle the production 1911. 99.44% of the time the problem is the ammo.

Insure you have a "factory" ammo. Not a target factory or a "factory" ammo made to make money and not for function. If the ammo is very low in price and an incredibly good deal there is a reason for it (close out, lasts years, out of spec, overstock, cash flow problems, or whatever). I am not saying low price is bad but check it out. No one discounts for the buyers best interest.

Not all "factory" target ammo is good. JFor example, I have folks who swear by Winchester white box but have one or two where that specific "factory" ammo just won't run yet worse ammo does run without a flaw.

Be safe and keep the brass flying

Terry Peters

http://www.pt-partners.com

Been there, done that. I have a Kimber Classic SS and started off same way. Choked on my first choice for ammo-- SWC. Changed to ball and that problem disappeared regardless of the manufacturer. All ball ammo feeds well.

Next problem was Kimber mags. Do yourself a huge favor and lose factory mags and install Wilson Combat.

Those two changes solved all problems. I want to get back to SWC ammo but will wait until I get a smithy to do a feed job.

The polymer framed Kimbers are very ammo sensitive. Using ammo like Wolf which tends to run long in it's overall length, will cause feeding problems.

Try using a quality ball ammo during the first 200-300 rounds. Then try several different QUALITY hollowpoint brands until you find some that feeds 100%.

If that does not work then look to your mags or shooting technique.

Good shooting,

Dean

Bustacaponyoass!! How funny is that!? I'd say mags, ammo and shooter limp wristing are the major factors. I had a friend who could actually jam his HK USO .40c every other shot. Once he learned not to shoot like a pussy, he was good to go.

Back