Kimber Pro Carry vs Springfield V-10 ?

Hit-em

Inactive
I've been thinking of buying a Kimber Pro Carry or Springfield V-10 for my wife(thats what I told her,but I'm sure it'll end up in my hands more often).

I've got a Kimber Custom which I love,it shoots great & is ultra reliable,so I've been leaning toward another Kimber.

I thought the Springfield V-10 would be a good choice for her due to the porting of the barrel which would help her with recoil,but I'm not real familar with the Springfields & how they stack up to the Kimbers.

I'd appreciate any input on how these two pistols compare.Thanks

I bought a Springfield V10 based on their rep (my normal carry at that time was a Les Baer). Was not impressed, would not load round one. Sent back to Springfield and two weeks later it returned. Shot round one fine, but failed to chamber round two and up. Another call, Springfield replaced pistol with same but added $250.00 woth of porting and goodies - traded that gun for a gun safe without even firing. Bought a Kimber Ultra-Carry - love the Kimber - afetr @ 2000 rounds has yet to malfunction (it is now my carry).

My wife bought an Ultra Compact V-10 in early '99 and I guess there are about 1000 rds. in it so far. The gun has been flawless. She really likes the gun, and the recoil is very light for a .45. I have a SA Champion, and it has performed superbly too, but my wife doesn't shoot it because it recoils too much...that porting really works!

hi hit-em,
i'm against porting in a defensive gun, so my judgement is somewhat biased towards the pro carry. however, if you were to compare the non-ported springfield lightweight champion and the kimber pro carry, i'd say get the pro carry because of superior dehorn, and superior frame quality. if you could get someone to dehorn the springfield slide on the cheap, it would level the playing field a lot more (this is assuming that both particular specimens in question are completely reliable).

just as important as the gun is proper training- so be sure to buy her a proper package- gun, a case of ammo and a weekend course in basic defensive handgun with a reputable instructor. i believe that 99% of all male and female adults (completely unscientific opinion) have the physical strength necessary to operate a 1911 correctly without getting overwelmed by the recoil. in most cases, training- not strength- makes the difference. proper training will teach the proper mechanics, especially the grip- and also the proper steps to acquiring target, finding front sight and following through with proper trigger manipulation. i see porting as yet another attempt at fixing a training issue with a mechanical solution.
best of luck in your choice!
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le

[This message has been edited by skdtac (edited January 02, 2000).]

It's kind of an apple/orange comparison. A Springfield Champion with an alloy frame would be a more exact comparison.

I don't know about the new Springfields but my old milspec model didn't have any sharp edges. It's also 100% reliable. Keep in mind also that the Kimber is a little more expensive. The price difference will just about cover a de-horning job from any of the good smiths other than a Clark Meltdown job which I think runs about $275.

Either way you can't go wrong as it seems a majority of pistols from these two manufacturers are reliable right of the box.

Back