Kimber Manufacturing Date

Mylhouse

Hey TFLers-
Just curious...is there any way to tell the approximate date of manufacture of a Kimber by the serial number? Thanks.

Merry Christmas and God Bless

hi mylhouse,
what model? there are a lot of kimber models out there, some offered only recently. '99 models have aluminum triggers and hex head screws, '98 and earlier models have black plastic triggers and slot head screws.
if its a kimber that says clackamas oregon on the frame, its probably 96/97-ish. we've got to remember, that kimber has been building 1911s for only around 3/4 years- none of them are actually "old". if you need the exact date so you can have a party for it, i'd contact kimber :)
merry christmas,
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com
tactical accessories for self-defense and le

Very funny. I have the basic Custom Classic. It has the old style trigger and grip screws (although I've put in Brown hex since). The reason I'm asking is because from reading some posts and hearing hearsay at the local gun shops, it would almost seem that quality is declining and problems are rising. I understand the more guns, more problems theory, but I'm trying to see if there is a correlation between Kimber satisfaction and manufacturing dates. I have no problems with mine, so this isn't a reassurance-buyers remorse type of thing. However, my conclusions WILL affect my future purchases when and if considering another Kimber.
On one hand, I'm glad I got the old-style, but on the other, I kinda wish I could have gotten the polished breech face, hex screws, and aluminum trigger for no additional charge as seen in the newer models.
As a side note, I have not tried anything but ball in my Kimber. Will it reliably feed hollowpoints and wadcutters?

Kimber would be the final authority on ser#/date of manufacture. I do know that the so called 99 models have serial #s for the Classic Custom starting with K04XXXX. I own one of them, it was manufactured in 1999...prior to that the ser#s were K03XXXX. I also own one of them , it was manufactured in 1998. Like the auto business, there were 99s produced in late 98. Personally, I prefer the McCormick polymer trigger on the older models. The polished breechface, and hex grip screws are fine, but the jury's still out on the trigger! Both of my Kimbers have given flawless performance. The older of which has over 4000 rounds through it. They will both eat anything that's fed them...so far. I started with ball, but now use Carroll's 200 gr. lswc with no problems. I hope this helps...Seasons best!

That does help alot, BigGeorge. Thanks. So does that mean that they started with KO30001?
The Kimber is the gun that I sunk the most cake into. I made no modifications, but I just had to have a pair of Crimson Trace grips for kicks. I wonder if Hogue or anyone for that matter makes a rubber grip that I can somehow slip UNDERNEATH he CT's that has fingergrooves. I just love the way pistols feel when you put Hogue fingergrooves on them (with the exception of the Beretta 92).
Here's hoping that all your presents were guns or gun related. None of mine were. :(

mylhouse,
try contacting lane pearce. i think he makes rubber grip finger groove inserts that go under standard grips. i don't have pearce's number off hand, anyone?

as for serial numbers, big george is correct in that any gun starting with a 40k s/n is a 99 model. but kimber by no means start their serial numbers at clean breaks for administrative reasons unless its a new frame/caliber/limited edition. there s/n range for 99 full size kimbers dip into the 30k's as well. also, there are a few 'transition' kimbers out there, with factory aluminum triggers and slot head screws.

if your gun is 100% reliable, the polished breechface is a moot issue. the only realistic factory recommendation regarding ammo is that it be a min 1.260 oal (in the manual), which would mean heavier bullets are the way to go. i've had flawless function with all major brands of jhp at 230 gr (sxt's, hi-vels, golden sabers, hydroshocks, corbons, gold dots). i don't shoot too much 185gr jhp, so although the results were good, i wouldn't consider it reliable info. as far as wadcutters, kimber chambers are tighter than most 1911's, so if you're not chamber checking the rounds with a match grade chamber gauge- as you should be if reloading (plus loading the rounds to 1.260 or thereabouts), you may encounter some problems. if your kimber won't feed any quality defensive rounds, i would send it back with a detailed letter and ask for them to make it meet your expectations.

merry christmas!
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com

My Kimber Polymer has a serial number of 1320 and I've had some trouble with the slide stop and magazine. So, in my hands, the serial number game doesn't correlate with quality control or anything.

merry christmas ch!
the kimber polymers (personally don't like 'em) have their own serial numbers (kp0xxxx) separate from the full size frame numbers we are discussing. the k40xxxx are s/n's for kimbers built on the full size single stack frames (classics, gold matches, stainlesses, etc...) i'd contact kimber and get them to discuss the issues with your gun and fix it!

i personally believe that since kimber does not have qc over the frame's manufacture (imported from bul transmark) it prolly isn't as good as their standard single stacks... but then again, it's conjecture so what the hell do i know?
;)
joe

------------------
www.skdtac.com

Back