Kimber Lightweight Custom Classic

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. I didn't even know that they were out, but a friend asked me to come shoot his new gun today and, of course, I did. It was a full-sized Kimber .45 ACP. It had ambidextrous safeties much like the old Swensons and the usual Kimber fixed sights and guiderod.

The frame was an aluminum alloy and had a checkered frontstrap (machine checkering @ 30lpi). The plastic mainspring housing was also checkered. Came with checkered wooden "diamond" stocks. The trigger was silver colored and "cut out" for weight reduction rather than having the often seen 3-holes.

The slide appeared to be stainless steel with blued sights while the frame is dark (blk) anodized. It had the gripping
grooves fore and aft as on the standard 5" Kimber.

The sights were well-regulated for 230 gr ball out of the box.

A total of 200 rounds were fired with no malfunctions of any kind. A couple of magazines of 230 gr Golden Saber were
also fired with no problem.

Slide to frame fit was quite nice and the bbl to slide fit was very tight.

If I didn't already have a Springfield LW Gov't Model, I'd have to get one of these. Recoil, while more than a steel gun, was not bad at all.

I have not been keeping up with designs from Kimber, and this was a very pleasent surprise.

Best.

Hello again. I didn't notice the model name on this newer lightweight full size pistol. If anyone knows it, I'd appreciate your passing it on. Thanks in advance and best.

I think you're describing a Custom CDP full size that's new this year. I've looked at one in a gun shop, but wasn't able to shoot it. Really nice looking gun.

I carried a lightweight Gov't model for a long time and found it to be an excellent gun for carry and shooting.

I have been wanting one of these new full sized LW Kimbers. The only thing I don't really like is the super heavy "slide melt".

Why did you like it better than your Springfield? And specific reason?

Hello. I liked it better than my older Springfield LW Gov't Model because the bbl to slide fit is tighter as is the frame to slide fit. The front strap was (machine) checkered whereas my gun's frame is smooth. It also had a better trigger pull out of the box.

Best.

Back