Kimber Lifeact. Legal question

rocinante

I bought a Kimber Lifeact at a gunshow. It is a handheld devise that "fires two blasts of ultra-hot pepper spray up to 13 feet in less than a second!"

I bought it for my wife since she is scared of guns. She is delighted and assures me she would have no qualms about using it.

Legal question. If she did feel the need to use it then it would be a threatening situation she felt she was in immediate danger. She is not a super flighty chick. My advise to her is to squirt someone, get the hell out of there, and call the police. Is that good advise? Ideally she isn't leaving a scene of a crime because she acted before an assault happened. My other thought is as screwed up as our laws are should she just leave and keep the police out of it? I think this would immoral because it would leave a potential predator free but would she be open to any form of persecution or civil action for causing someone pain and suffering?

Second legal question. Generally are these defensive spray devices subject to any restrictions on where you can carry? Surely they aren't as restricted as handguns.

Finally question does anybody trust this kimber thing? I would like to think it is a little bit better than nothing.

If she has to use it, she'd better spray the heck out of the person (give 'em a good blast right in the face), and then run like heck and get out of the area. She should then call the police immediately. JMHO.

Can't imagine her being in trouble for leaving the scene if she was just attacked. Chemical sprays wear off faster than one might expect, and my guess is she REALLY shouldn't be around alone when Mr. BG is able to see through the stuff again...

For carry, make sure your state codes don't define sprays as a "dangerous weapon" or anything ridiculous. I think (don't quote me) some states define sprays as dangerous weapons, then make laws against carrying "dangerous weapons" here and there...

After spraying, tell her to move off line from the line of advance of an attacker. You don't want her in the grasp of someone that just got sprayed, trust me.

I think you got it. Use the spray, scream for help to get witnesses to say you were attacked. If you get away, call the cops first thing.

Not calling law can lead to the BG calling it on you.

Back