Kimber K6 vs Colt Cobra

dgludwig

After a lot of research, I've narrowed the choices for a revolver chambered in .357 Magnum to the Kimber and the Colt. This gun will be for my wife and the da trigger pull is very important. My lgs has the Cobra selling for $850.00 and the Kimber (with a fifty dollar rebate) selling for $780.00. My wife hasn't handled either of them yet and how the revolver feels in her hand and how much she prefers the da trigger pull will be strong determinative factors.

So, anybody have any suggestions or advice concerning either of the revolvers under consideration? The sale on the Kimber ends on the 28th of this month. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have the Kimber and really like the trigger on mine, really is a quality revolver and I am very happy, makes a great carry revolver. Mine was a Christmas gift from the in-laws but I had handled the Colt before and was not impressed with them and would of chose the Kimber if the decision would of been mine.

but I had handled the Colt before and was not impressed with them

Not trying to be picayune, but what was it about the Colt Cobra revolver that turned you off? And thanks for your input, smee78.

For the OP, the Colt Cobra is not a .357 Magnum. The Colt Cobra is a .38 Special.

The newer King Cobra will be in .357 Magnum.

https://www.colt.com/series/COBRA_SERIES

I haven't yet seen the new King Cobra, but I have encountered multiple examples of the .38 Special Cobra (the new/current one, not the original). Colt folks told me they put a lot of effort into making the trigger as good as possible, and in my estimation they succeeded. The trigger is (for a double action revolver) really sweet. And it seems to be consistently good from one pistol to the next.

I got to handle a King Cobra the other day at a LGS and man is it sweet! I am not a Colt fan due to their (lack of) customer service, but I could revisit my position with that revolver.

I really think you need to get both these guns in your wife's hands before you purchase one. Grip size, sights, and trigger angle will lead her to the correct gun for her.
If she is not going to carry, you may look at the three-inch version of the Kimber.
Having that 6th round in the cylinder is a good thing.

I think they are different guns. I have owned a Kimber since they came out and shot a lot out of a customer's Colt.
The Cold has a hammer which takes it out of contention for a few carry options. Also, a cocked hammer in a SD situation can be too easily fired.
The Kimber has a fantastic trigger and will be snag free on the draw.

Matt-Whitfield-holster-zps1nii7xz0.jpg

MSRP for the Cobra is only $700, so $850 is a bit high, unless you are talking about the King Cobra, which is a different story.

I have a Cobra that I am very happy with, aside from the mediocre finish. A King Cobra that I handled at the local gun store had the same smooth trigger, but a much nicer finish.

At the NRA show Colt is displaying a new King Cobra in a hammerless version.
(hammer spur cut off, DA only).

If you're thinking of buying a small revolver in .357 for your or your wife you might re-think that.
The recoil and muzzle blast is literally stunning.

A better option is the Buffalo Bullet Co. HOT +P 158 grain, lead, semi-wadcutter, hollow point.
This is loaded with a special softer lead bullet with a gas check to prevent leading and to allow driving a lead bullet that fast.
This is at near-Magnum levels and is what the original +P load was.

Modern +P ammo has been down loaded and is not the same ammo that ended the police failures to stop caused by the old standard round nose .38 Special "widow maker" loads.
The street cops called the original +P "the .38 SPLAT" for the sound it supposedly made when it hit.

In this you get a real stopper load with a lot less muzzle blast and recoil.....

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=108

If you go this way you can buy a Colt New Cobra that costs less then the new King Cobra.

I had the chance to pick up and inspect the Colt Cobra 357 in magnum 3"
long yesterday. The trigger pull my gunsmith measured came out to be 9 lbs. NITB. I put some cap snaps in it and squeezed the trigger. It was IMHO compared almost as good as my Python. I realize that everone has their own opinion as the Kimber vs. the King Cobra. For me it's the King Cobra
BTW, the balance (in my hand) was absolutely terrific. However, I have not yet seen the K6 yet.

I really think you need to get both these guns in your wife's hands before you purchase one. Grip size, sights, and trigger angle will lead her to the correct gun for her.

Good advice, of course. If you revisit my opening remarks, you'll see that how my wife likes the revolver in terms of how it handles for her and which da trigger pull she prefers are things we were prioritizing.

If you're thinking of buying a small revolver in .357 for your or your wife you might re-think that.
The recoil and muzzle blast is literally stunning.

I don't plan on loading a relatively light-weight revolver chambered for .357 Magnum intended for self-defense with Magnum loads; not for me and certainly not for my wife. I will be considering loading the gun with .38 Special +P loads, with 125 grain jhp bullets. We'll try them first and then decide whether even lighter recoiling rounds are preferable, especially when quick, repeat shots are likely.

I have nothing against handguns chambered for .38 Special, especially when shooting paper. I am a long time Bullseye shooter and, at last count, have seven .38 Special handguns in my battery. But when buying a new revolver, I prefer opting for one chambered in .357 Magnum over one chambered in .38 Special due to the added versatility the Magnum offers. The biggest potential downside to a Magnum over a .38 Special is cost. I'm willing to pay the difference, if there is any, to get the extra power; whether I need it; use it-or not.

So, a decision was made today. My wife and I spent an hour or so while she handled the King Cobra and the Kimber equivalent. I stayed out of the comparison as much as possible while she gripped the guns and squeezed their triggers. It may be due to a particular specimen of each (these things can vary from time to time even when comparing identical models) but she much preferred the Colt. I, too, thought the Kimber had a good trigger pull but I think the da trigger pull on the Colt was noticeably lighter and smoother.

The King Cobra we bought has an exposed hammer spur, the bright s/s finish and a 3" long barrel (the length I prefer in a revolver intended for self-defense when higher velocity ammunition is being used).

I thank everyone for their insightful and informed inputs.

Last edited:
Anybody know which HKS speed loader fits the new Cobra/King Cobra revolvers best? I know there's sometimes equivalencies between the various models (for instance, HKS loaders having different model numbers for the original Colt Cobra/Agent revolvers and for S&W K-frame revolvers are virtually, if not exactly, the same). The HKS model "MK.3-A" includes the Colt King Cobra among several other revolvers they are intended to fit but I'm pretty sure the original King Cobra was being referenced.
Thanks all.

Back