Kimber Gold Match mag doesn't drop free..

xtrarnds

Hello !!

I just bought a Gold Match and just found out that the magazine does not drop free. I've tried to keep the mag eject button fully depressed but still no luck. The mag drops for about 1/3" and then stops. I'm using the factory Kimber mag. Does anyone have any solutions for this? I hope that it's not a serious problem :(

TIA

It's no big deal. The mag may be a little out of spec. Try to get an idea where it's sticking by using a marking pen on the outside of the mag and insert it into the gun. Eject the mag several times and note the wear on the marked areas. With this method I have actually taken magazines and put them into a vise and squeezed them. Don't laugh, this IS how it's done by gunsmiths and it works just fine. I've also seen people step on them to produce the same results.

The problem may also be with the follower in the magazine, a problem I had with the mag supplied by Kimber. The follower can move forward a bit so that the lower lip hangs up on the edge of the magazine well. Solution, if that's the case, is either to live with it or get a new magazine. Sometimes disassembling and reassembling the magazine helps, but I wouldn't want to bet my life on it.

Dick

xtrands,

So I don't have to assume: ;)
Is this with an empty magazine or a full magazine??

If it is with an empty magazine: When the problem occurs, without removing the magazine, just push it back up into place and cycle the slide. Does it lock the slide back??

elk1.gif
rocketq3.gif

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."

My Gold Match magazine wouldn't fall free when I first got it either. For me, just polishing the mag and the mag well with a little Tetra gun grease and then putting the mag in, taking it out, putting it again, taking it out, etc. a few dozen times, solved the problem.

Also, as Monkeyleg said, the mags that come with the Gold Match have lousy followers that wiggle forward when you don't want them too. I bought a Mec-Gar and 2 Wilsons that never had or have any troubles.

Your mags may be dragging on either the grip screw bushings or the plunger tube pins. Sometimes the plunger tube pins are not swaged properly. One of my Kimbers had this problem. Just stone off the excess. Same fix for the bushings.

May even be simpler than that. Friend had a Springfield Compact, wouldn't drop (if fact the mag was downright STIFF to remove or insert either one). Took the grip plates off to try and find the problem, and it went away. Found one of the grip screws just a hair longer than the rest and it protruded into the mag well. A bit of grinding and thread work and it was just fine. The bushings may be protruding as mentioned. First thing to do is remove the grips and try it (EMPTY). If that doesn't help, try seeing what is dragging. If possible, try a different magazine as well.

I bought Wilson mags and they drop free. Apparently Kimber mags were out of spec. why would Kimber ship crappy mags with an above average gun?? Not a very sound business practice :(

All is well.

Gee. When you pay that much for

a pistol, you'd think they would give you a mag that works!

never had that problem with a Colt mag, and besides the prancing pony looks a heckuva lot better than that plastic bump on the bottom of a Wilson.

BigG, I bought a Colt mag for my Pro Carry and had the same problem. Something on the Kimbers is maybe just a little out of standard specs.

Dick

Manually extract the Kimber mag and along with any other Kimber mag carry them to the nearest landfill. Being carefully of your foot, heave said mags to the fartherest regions of the landfill, turn around and walk out. On the way home call Wilson Combat and order a selection of their mags to use.

I had a stainless classic that had nothing but problems until the Kimber mags self-destructed. No problems developed after changing to Wilson Combat.

Back