Kimber Gold Combat or Wilson CQB?

kerry

I've narrowed my next purchase to two 1911's that really appeal to me. I've heard a lot of pro's and con's about Kimber's custom products, and a lot of "Wilson is great, but not worth the price" in the hundreds of posts that I've read. I was wondering if anyone would care to compare and contrast these two particular choices. I would especially like to hear from anyone that owns (or has owned) either of these weapons. Thanks in advance,
Kerry

I've never had the CQB but I've owned (or still own) three Wilson guns.

A Gold Cup that I had "worked" by Wilson, a 1996-A2 and a Service Grade Classic. All worked flawlessly, even though the SGC was so tight you could barely hand work the slide when new.

I still have the 1996-A2, which would be the one closest to the CQB, and intend to keep it for the forseeable future. Several thousand rounds thru it so far. ZERO malfunctions! VERY accurate! GREAT trigger!

Mikey

I, as anyone who reads my posts here knows, am a fan of Kimber, but I don't think the Gold Combat is worth what you have to pay for it. Much better off going with a Kimber Gold Match and having the forestrap checkered and the sights replaced. Or, conversely, going with the Classic Stainless and have the forestrap checkered, ambi safety installed and switching grips, if you're of a mind.

I do have a friend with that Wilson QBC. He sings its praises and carries it everyday. I have noticed he shoots it better than he does his Kimbers. He has stated however, the coating Wilson is using on the QBC is NOT as tough as they say. He has sent it back twice and it still seems to be coming off.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Bubba,
Does your friend think he would have been better off going with the Parkerized finish instead of the Armor Tuff? Thanks for all the replies.
Kerry

Back