Kimber Custom TLE II 10mm Review

FranklinTN

Inactive
FRAME OF REFERENCE: Had only 1 experience w/ a 10mm 1911 before buying this pistol. Have previously owned a dozen or so 1911s-- all were of the typical respected name brands. All were $500+ guns. All were 45s, save one 9mm that I did not care for.

Got a Custom TLE II this week for $950. Of the name brands I have owned, the one I gravitate back to is Kimber. I have read many opinions on the inter web about Kimber's high quality that went downhill and may be coming back up that hill. Previously, I had owned 3 different Kimber models over a 15-year period and I have not been able to tell much difference between any of them. (This particular Kimber is my 4th Kimber). Whilst I have liked the other 1911's I have owned (save for the 9mm) I have liked the Kimbers the most.

After years of enjoying the venerable 45 ACP, I like the 10mm at least as much as any of the 45's I've had. From what I can tell, the recoil of these factory 10mm loads is not different than the 45 loads I have shot. It feels the same to me. I am 6’-1”, 180 lbs. of probably average strength for a 36 year old male. In fact, if I can be honest, I like this 10mm better than the other 45s I have owned. More power at the same perceived recoil/report level. If I shot them side-by-side I might be able to tell a difference?

The accuracy of this Custom TLE II is good. Freehand from 10 yards is impressive. 2” 5-shot groups are not hard to achieve. And freehand from 25 yards on an 8" gong with speed is also impressive. I have not shot it from a bench yet. The trigger is good. Just a touch of creep then breaks at a comfortable weight. Depending on break-in, I may do a trigger job in the future to try and clean up that bit of creep. But, we all know how Kimbers are--after a few hundred rounds, wrinkles can iron out. My Wheeler Trigger Pull Gauge says it breaks at an average of just under 4 lbs.

This gun came with 1 stainless mag. I bought another Kimber stainless mag. The mag that did not come with the gun had some FTF kinks at the outset. For whatever reason, after 100 rounds, the problem went away. Have since put 3 other types of ammo through it and I can’t get it to FTF. The disproportional relationship that mag had with this gun seems to have worked itself out. No other problems or inconsistencies to report at this point--212 rounds through the gun thus far.

Have put 4 types of ball ammo through it. Remington UMC and Sellier & Bellot were the most accurate. That surprised me. I would have thought the Double Tap and the Sig would have been better. The DT was terrible out of this gun—all over the place.

As usual, the Hornady Critical Duty was very accurate. 175 gr FlexLock supposedly going 1,160. I’ll carry these in the woods for deer and pigs.

This is my 4th Kimber and they are all consistent. They have had the same feel. They do feel different to me than the other $500-$1,200 1911 brands I have owned. I personally like the fact that they come tight and need a break in period—it’s just like getting a new puppy!

Congrats. I own several 1911s but have stayed away from Kimber. Too many rust stories, spotty QC and spotty customer service.

That said, I took a leap of faith and bought a Camp Guard 10mm. It was really love at first sight with that gun and I wanted a 10mm so I bought it with just a little hesitation.

That said, fit and finish was perfect on this gun. I own Colt and Springfields and was really impressed by how well the Camp Guard was put together.

That ended at the range however. Gun wouldn't run more than three rounds of FMJ and wouldn't run a mag of HP without FTF.

Called Kimber after another range trip with different ammo with same results and they paid shipping both ways and I had the gun back in 8 days.

They throated the chamber, replaced the recoil spring and tuned the extractor.

The gun now runs perfectly and is way more accurate than I am. I'm very pleased with it and the 10mm is round that seems designed for a 1911. Maybe even less felt recoil than a 45 and a bit more punch.

The Camp Guard is now going to be a hunting / hiking and camp guarding gun.

That is very interesting. I am glad to hear that experience. I'll file that one away in the memory bank. Out of curiosity, when was this?

January of 2020.

I know everyone makes wonky guns, and Kimber took care of me on this one, but I was amazed that Kimber appears to take so much time on the externals of the gun, but much less on the internals.

Either way, I'm certainly happy and impressed with the Camp. It was my first Kimber, but it may not be my last.

I'm glad to see other people with favorable reports on Kimber. Now I haven't owned dozens of 1911's but I've owned several but I've shot countless ones from about every manufacturer that cost under $1000.

My Stainless ii Kimber 45 5" barrel has been flawless 100% reliable and scary accurate. I'm at 350 round mark from new and I couldn't be happier.

Thanks guys

KzyHrs--
Interesting about focussing more on externals and less on internals. Considering this, I will pay special attention over the next few days/weeks as I put more rounds through this gun. I'll let you all know if any of the feel deteriorates.
CJ--
Your experience w/ Kimber is consistent with my experience over the last 15 years. The 45s I owned were 100% reliable and super accurate. Kimber is legit--otherwise I would not keep coming back to it!

Franklin -

One other thing that gets a lot of tread wear is Kimber stock mags being of questionable reliability.

When I bought my Camp, I also bought a Mec Gar, a Wilson and used my buddies Colt and Dan Wesson mags.

None of them would run ammo the first weekend so it certainly wasn't a mag related issue.

Once I got it back from Kimber however, every mag ran flawlessly, including the stock Kimber.

When I bought the gun, I was concerned about three things; wide reports of problems, poor OEM mag and terrible customer service.

The widely reported problems was dead on. The poor mag and customer service certainly weren't.

Like I said, Kimber's CS was excellent. I've dealt with Ruger and Springfield a few times and both were simply excellent. Kimber's was right there as well.

I'm out of the 1911 arena for a while, but if I need another one, I'd consider Kimber along with my Springfields and Colts.

UPDATE AT 325 ROUNDS:
At this point it seems like the hits favor left of the bullseye. (I am a RH shooter). I had a buddy shoot it on Saturday and his hits favored left also.
I shot from a solid bench today at 20 yards to try and figure out if this is shooter error or if this is actual. I shot 2 types of ammo. A couple hits were at the center of the target. All the other hits favored left of the glory hole. I have been cleaning the pistol in detail after every session, to help ensure consistency in my results. I'll try to run a couple more types of ammo through it off the bench to see what happens.

Back