Kimber Compact CDP or SIG 229

sgoeing

I am going to buy another handgun in the next week or so and can't decide between theses two( kimber or sig). I carry a glock 30 so i probably wouldn't use it for everyday carry but could on ocassion. I like the idea of changing calibers on the sig and higher capacity but the kimber is just beautiful. I have a Kimber supermatch, does the cdp compare in quality? What do you guys think?
Thanks
Michael

You want the smart answer or the wiseacre answer? Well, in this, they are the same: get both! I've got a 229 that's very sweet and a great gun to have in the "arsenal." But a Kimber CDP would be exceptional to have as well. In fact, I'm planning on getting a Kimber within the week, along with a Sig 220.

No bad choice

I have 5 SIGs and three Kimbers, and I concur with Buzz - getthem both! If that's not in the budget, for carry, I'd grudgingly lean towards the SIG for the consistent quality, extra capacity and versitilty of two calibers, but that CDP is a work of art (and I think they're past their QC problems from a year ago). Enjoy!
M2

One more question. I have had a few people tell me that a aftermarket barrel can be bought that allows the sig to shoot 9mm also. I know the 357 sig and .40 barrels can be interchanged but i can't get a straight answer about the 9mm.
Thanks Again
Michael

Barstow (sp?) makes a 9mm barrel for the 229. I own a 229 but no extra barrels. You might search (or post) over at sigforum.com, as I know this topic has been covered there.

I talked to Barsto about the 9mm barrel and they said it was a simple barrel change. (I think $150 or so) I have heard you can use the .40 mags for the 9mm, but that it may be considered an altered mag and questionable because of the 10 round limit. I hope to get the barrel sometime soon for my .40 229.

Kiffster

Try to get the Bar Sto 9mm barrel if you can. It's a great deal. Lots of fun to shoot cheap 9mm from the 229. The slight weight difference over the 228 makes it so easy to handle 9mm. No modifications are necessary. The barrel simply drops in place of the .40 or .357SIG barrel. On some occasion, the slide would not lock out after the last round. I suspect that a lighter recoil spring could remedy that. I tried using the .40 mags, although they do accept a couple more rounds than the 10 rounders, I found that they did not feed properly all the time. I bought some 228/229 10 round factory mags to use. Worked flawlessly. Highly recommend the 9mm barrel. Good luck.

Back