Kimber Classic Custom Royal: Worth the Upgrades?

Vanguard.45

I am thinking of purchasing the Kimber Classic Custom Royal and I was planning to add-on as I save-up. Here are the upgrades I am planning:

-Ambidextrous Safety (I'm a southpaw),
-Tritium Night sights (probably Novak or something similar),
-S&A mag funnel
-buying two or three Wilson Magazines (I've heard on this forum that the Kimber mags are not quite top of the line).

I am wondering if anyone out there has much experience with this weapon, and, if so, is it a good enough base upon which to customize (i.e. inherent accuracy, quality of workmanship, "life expectancy" of the weapon with good care, etc.).

Also, does anyone have any other suggetions for upgrades that you think might bring this weapon to its full potential. I plan on carrying this weapon off-duty.

Thanks for your help!!

Yes, it's worth it (if you like it).

All the stuff you mentioned is fine if you like it, but some find the S&A well a bit longish for concealed carry.

As for mags, I'm using Mag-Pack 8-rounders with zero difficulty (although sometimes one or two might need its feed lips bashed together; these get used in USPSA matches on concrete floors constantly).

I have one and I like it a lot. I agree with WeShoot, the S&A mag adds unnecessary bulk (IMHO). I use Wilson 8 rounders and find them thoroughly reliable (I've had no trouble with Kimber mags, either, FWIW). You might consider a set of Ashley Express Pro (tritium) sights in leiu of teh Wilsons. I have a set on my Ultra Carry and find them very fast to acquire and very accurate. Granted, they aren't target sights, but for a personal defense gun, I think they're great. I did secum to one bit of vanity - I put a bit of gold leaf in the Kimber logo on the slide, it's quite striking against the polished blue finish. Good luck. M2

Back