Kimber Caprivi

Photon Guy

Anybody have experience with the Kimber Caprivi? I know Kimber is a really good company. In the past I've posted about Steyr Mannlicher and I've gotten mixed responses. Im wondering how a Kimber Caprivi would compare to a Steyr Mannlicher.

I'd trust one in .416 as a stopping rifle, or in .375 as a client rifle. .458 Lott is a cartridge for hypothetical armored elephants and I want no part of that recoil.

That said, the Kimbers are twice the costs of a basically identical Winchester m70 or Montana Rifle Vantage, and I don't see much difference between the three. Given a choice, I'd probably avoid the barrel band setup in favor of a stud on the stock. It works better with the Rhodesian type slings I use. That would bias me toward the Montana Rifle offerings.

Steyr wants a lot of money for a push feed action. For a dangerous game rifle I would consider it only in a client role due to the action, and then never buy it because I can get a more suitable rifle for less from Winchester or Montana.

Kimber rifles are nice, but expensive for what you get. They typically shoot well. They put very nice wood on their wood stocked rifles, and they are not shy about charging you for it. If you are Mr Practical, you can get all the functionality of the Kimber in a Model 70 or a Ruger M77 Mk II., but the Kimber is still prettier.

If you are Mr Practical, you can get all the functionality of the Kimber in a Model 70 or a Ruger M77 Mk II., but the Kimber is still prettier.

So another words, what you're saying is all that extra money you're paying when you buy a Kimber, you're paying for the decoration and the cosmetics I take it?

So another words, what you're saying is all that extra money you're paying when you buy a Kimber, you're paying for the decoration and the cosmetics I take it?

I have no experience with the big bores. But the premium you pay for their standard rifles is for weight reduction, not higher quality, cosmetics, or decoration. I have a Kimber in 308; it is no better quality than my Winchesters and not much ahead of Ruger. But it weights 5 lbs 15 oz scoped. To get ANYTHING else close to that weight would cost triple what a Kimber costs. If you need a lightweight rifle Kimbers are a bargain. If you don't need a lightweight rifle you can do better for the money in my experience.

I have a Kimber in 308; it is no better quality than my Winchesters and not much ahead of Ruger.

So you claim that the Kimber is on par with the Winchester but a little ahead of the Ruger? I do know that Winchester is a big name company when it comes to rifles but I never thought of their products as top of the line. On the other hand from my own experience I consider Ruger to be top of the line although I do not have any Ruger rifles. Yet you claim that both Winchester and Ruger are of better quality than Ruger even if its just marginal. I've got a bunch of Ruger revolvers and from my experience, at least with their revolvers is that you will be paying good money when you buy one but they are not ridiculously expensive. You do however get what you pay for and then some. Again though, this is only my experience with their revolvers. I do own a Ruger semi automatic but I've rarely used it so I can't really speak for it. I don't own any Ruger rifles and I have zero experience with them so perhaps their rifles aren't of the same quality as their revolvers. Still as a Ruger fan I would think anything they made would be top quality but perhaps that's just with their revolvers not their rifles.

It's also worth noting that the Winchester Safari Express option is about 1/2 pound heavier than the Kimber or the Winchester Alaskan. These are generally not the sort of calibers where light weight is a virtue.

It's also worth noting that the Winchester Safari Express option is about 1/2 pound heavier than the Kimber or the Winchester Alaskan. These are generally not the sort of calibers where light weight is a virtue.

Well when you're talking about calibers such as the .416 weight can be both a good thing and a bad thing. Weight is a drawback if you're hiking long distances especially when you're talking about a rifle of that large a caliber that is going to be lots of weight to lug around. On the other hand a heavier rifle will absorb recoil better so that's how weight can be a good thing with the reduced recoil.

what you're saying is all that extra money you're paying when you buy a Kimber, you're paying for the decoration and the cosmetics I take it?
Not just that. If you understand Economics 101, you understand that some people charge what the market will bear, not necessarily what others in the market are charging.

kim_caprivi.jpg

I personally Prefer a WBY Mark V. In all honesty, if someone is going to shoot an Elephant, The difference in price between a Kimber and a Winchester is mere pocket change to them.

I don't think I could bring myself to buy a Kimber. I'd buy one of the old Abercrombie and Fitch rifles if I needed a name that would draw attention.

Back