Kimber 8400 .270 wsm

Atlshaun

Inactive
Looking at one in pretty good condition...what are everyones thoughts on this as a first hunting rifle...mostly will be used on white tails.

I like my Kimber, and I like both the 270 WSM and 300 WSM. But don't think the round or rifle is the best choice for a first hunting rifle. Kimbers are VERY accurate rifles, but are also the lightest of production rifles and require very good shooting form to shoot them accurately. I'd been hunting and shooting for close to 40 years before buying my Kimber and it took me about 100 rounds before I fully mastered the 5 lb. rifle and started shooting it well.

The 270 WSM is one of the best long range hunting rounds out there, but ammo is expensive, and they have a bit more recoil than I'd suggest for a first rifle. Especially in a lightweight Kimber. For a veteran hunter who has the skills to use it, that would be a great all around combination.

For a beginning hunter it is hard to beat a 243, 260, 7-08, or even a 308. With todays premium bullets I'd recommend a 243. It'll kill any deer on the planet from greater range than most have the skills to shoot it. If bigger game is a possibility then the 7-08 or 308 would be better choices.

The .270 WSM I shot in a Win 70 FWT wasn't that bad with recoil but of course I shoot a lot heavier recoiling rifles than it on a regular basis. I thought the rifle didn't recoil an worse than a regular .270 FWT shooting 130 grain ammunition that I shoot as well. I was shooting factory federal loads with 110 grain TTSX bullets at 3500 fps according to the box. If you choose the right load I think the .270 WSM will work just fine for your brother.

Can your brother shoot your .270 well? If he can handle that then he could probably handle a .270 WSM. It might be time to upgrade your rifle to the Kimber and pass your .270 Win down to your brother.

Can your brother shoot your .270 well? If he can handle that then he could probably handle a .270 WSM.

I kinda go along with this......but then my first handgun was a 44 mag....

While I have a Kimber 270 WSM and like it I would say that it jumps a little in my hands from its recoil.

On the other hand they do have an excellent soft Decelrator pad.

Also their safety is excellent.

How far does the new hunter have to shoot?

Back