Kimber 1911 or Glock 35

Status
Not open for further replies.

JMB

Well, I'm probably going to be selling my G19 in the next couple of weeks. And though there are more important places the money should go from that sale (i.e.-food and tuition), I'm sure I'll use it to buy another pistol. I've narrowed down my choices to a Kimber Classic or a Glock 35. I've found that recently I've been shooting my Glocks (17 and 19) a little high, as though my hand is yearning for the grip angle of a 1911(it's what I learned to shoot on). Plus, that single stack grip feels SOOOO good in my smallish hands. but many people have sung the praises of the G35 over at GT, and since I don't own a .40, I've been considering that one too.

The only 1911 I ever owned was a Colt 1991A1, and I must say I wasn't very impressed with that weapon. I'm assuming the Kimber is of MUCH higher quality.

I like the feel, durability, and simplicity of Glocks as well. I'm really having a hard time deciding between the two. I would really appreciate any opinions or advice you all could offer. Thanks.

All I can say is that the four Kimbers I have owned have yet to give me a single jam, and have consistently been the most accurate handguns I have ever shot.

I have a G35 and a Kimber Gold Match. They are as different as night and day. Like you, the Glock points high and is a bit uncomfortable. I fixed that problem by having Arizona Response System Reduce the grip. I then added some Heinie sights. The Glock is a great pistol for "combat" type shooting at close yardages.

The Kimber is a nice pistol and is much more accurate than the G35. To be honest, if I want to win a match I go with the Kimber. If I want to win a gunfight I would pick the Glock.

What are you planning on using the weapon for? If its a "combat" weapon, you need to identify whats important to you in a weapon for that role. For me, its gotta be very accurate, reliable, fit my hand like a glove, and point naturally. Thats a 1911 as far as I'm concerned. If you want another glock, well, they're ok too.....I guess. :)

------------------
"To die as a warrior means to have crossed swords and either won or lost without any consideration for winning or loosing. There is just not enough time and generally not enough strength in the resolve of any man to do otherwise"-Miyamoto Musashi

I owned a Colt 1911. The
Kimber I have shot is the
best shooting experience I
have ever had! Damn , are
they accurate! The double
recoil spring really dampens
recoil!!!!!! Ofcourse you
can use these for Combat.
Short trigger pull.

------------------
"Al-vida-zane"

I'll vote for the Kimber. I bought an Ultra Carry because I'm working on getting my CCW and wanted something I could tote without my pants falling off. I was a little leary of the short grips on the Ultra, but after only a few trips to the range I don't even notice that. What I do notice is the fact that even experienced "twenty year" men at the range have been standing around watching me shoot, because the accuracy of the gun and what I can only call the "shootability" of it is making me look like a star. After watching me shred targets at 25 yards for half an hour, one old timer told me he didn't think I could expect to do better than that with any carry pistol he'd ever seen; mind you, this was only my fifth time shooting any .45, so I fully expect to improve greatly. My point is that the gun is wonderful! It is relativly easy to take apart and clean and _really_ easy to put back together. Takes Officer size magazines, so you can "only" have 7+1 in the gun, if capacity is a concern.

-Jorah

Shortfuse

The only time I had that problem was when I had that grit all through the frame when I got that bad batch of "Klean" ammo. I heard on this forum before I bought the Kimber that some magazines will cause this problem, so I bought a Wilson, figuring to avoid the problem by throwing money at it. One person overcame the problem by buying an aftermarket slidelock... If you look back at the threads from about 4 weeks ago, I'm pretty sure you will find details there.

-Jorah

Shortfuse...

KNOWN PROBLEM! Certain mags can cause this problem on the smaller Kimbers. I had FITs with the Wilson Combat mags and my Combat Carry from the Custom Shop. Several others have seen the same thing. The Shooting Star/McCormick mags don't seem to have the problem. May be the plastic vs steel followers. Anyway, the fix was simple, for the Wilson Mags, I put in a Wilson Slide Stop. Problem went away. I have seen no adverse effects from using the Wilson Slide Stop. Well.. save one. The Blued version of the Wilson seems more prone to rust than the Kimber did. I may switch it out to a stainless one. I have started using some better rust inhibitors and I'll see if it gets any better.

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Hey, Bubba!

I have to report that my new Kimber Ultra Carry is now seeing complete failure to lock back on the Wilson Combat mag I got for it. Thanks for the info, and I'll try the Wilson Slide-Stop unless we here good things from JohnBoy on the other thread ("Kimber not locking back") where he was going to try getting a replacement slide-stop from Kimber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back