KGP-141 your thaughts

bullfrog99

looking thru old postings i find a lot of good things said about the ruger gp-100 i'm thinking of getting a kgp-141, if you have one how do you like it, hows the accuracy/durability.

IMHO it's the best deal on a .357. I have that very model and have been very impressed with the accuracy and durability. You cannot go wrong with this gun. Some complain about the trigger being too heavy, but just buy some snap caps (although you probably don't need them), dry-fire a few thousand times ( a good workout) and the trigger will be easier. Or you can take the money you saved on the ruger and get a trigger job. That way you have the best of both worlds: Ruger strength and reliability with a good trigger.

better yet drop in a reduced(stock 14lbs,drop down to 8lbs)wolf trigger and hammer spring.10 bucks and man what a custom feel.and yes it will still fire all 357 primmers.:barf:

I have a KGP-161 (6" barrel) and absolutely love it. No better value on the market. I recently purchased a Wolff spring kit, and have been playing with reduced weight trigger and hammer spring combinations. It's like a $10 trigger job. Sweet!

IMHO, the KGP-141 is the best value .357 magnum/.38 Special available today. Many archived posts explain why, but, in sum, it is a very high quality, very durable, reliable, and quite accurate. New-in-box, can be had for ~$350. You simply cannot go wrong with a KGP-141.

I've been shooting one since I was 16. It was "my" first revolver. It's never been a problem, and the trigger pull is great after several thousand rounds of full house .357. My wife even likes it with .38 reloads.

Got one. Also a Smith 686 in 4 inch barrell. The action is smoother with the Smith, but good with the GP. Fit and finish, including the quality of the sights is also better with the Smith, but also quite good with the Ruger. Both point and feel good, at least to me. Advantage to Ruger KGP141 is cost, about $100 less than the Smith.

I would not hesitate to pick up the Ruger rather than the Smith. The difference in price does not, in my opinion, justify the additional cost of the Smith. The Ruger shoots well, functions well, is reportedly stronger than the Smith and is very accurate. I cannot tell any real difference is accuracy of the two weapons.

Just for info, I bought the Smith when they first signed "THE AGREEMENT" . I thought that they would eventually ruin their handguns with 'smart gun' technology and purchased several Smiths on speculation that when you could no longer get a traditional Smith, I might make a few dollars on the collection.

I bought the Ruger to shoot!!!

The GP100 is so incredibly tough that if you're on a budget and buy lots of gunshow dirt cheap .38Spl reloads and some damnfool double-charges one, the gun is unlikely to notice.

Only the Blackhawks/Vaqueros in .357 may be tougher for the same weight class, and they're SA.

The GP100 can also take at least a modest diet of the really serious hunting loads, 158s at 1500+ or 180s/200s doing 1250+. No S&W short of an N-Frame is rated for that stuff. Ruger used to sell the Redhawk ("Ruger's N-Frame") in .357, but dropped that setup when the GP100 hit that could handle any plausible .357.

That makes the GP100 one of the smallest decent 48-state "woods guns".

Spend $100 having a gunsmith tune it and you'll have as good a trigger and accuracy as any L-Frame or below S&W, with more strength.

Sidenote: who else would go ape over an 8-shot .357 Redhawk using moonclips? Or a good Ruger-label speedloader available immediately...

The trigger is heavy, but that's all i can say even remotely negative about the KGP-141. I carry one every day at work, and I don't have any qualms about it. I also have a S&W M66 4", and it does have a nicer trigger, but they cost a lot more, not to mention the whole boycott situation.

I picked up a used KGP-141 a month ago at a gunshop for $275. It's my first revolver and I really like the gun....only complaint is, like the others mentioned, the heavy trigger pull so I've been mostly shooting it SA at the range. I'll be picking up the wolff spring kit for it to lighten the trigger pull. You can order them direct from wolff:

http://www.gunsprings.com

It's a very accurate gun.

Own two; don't mess with the springs.

Plenty of pro 'smiths can tune them right up (but mine needs only some chamber chamfering).

Almost as tough as my 357 Redhawk, but easier to conceal.

Buy

OK, mine is a KGP-161, but essentially the same thing. Love it. Recently put a Wolff spring kit in (a no-brainer op for almost anyone), and now the SA & DA action is simply superb! I call it my $10 trigger job, and so far it's put a smile on everyone who's shot it.

Sure, you can always spend more, and/or buy better. There is always someone out there with a product that will suck your wallet dry. But I firmly believe that the GP100 represents a reasonable threshhold point where you have to ask yourself "Why, and is it worth it?"

Back