Kgp-141 for only handgun?

bullfrog99

I think i could survive with only a KGP-141 (Ruger gp-100 adjustable sight, full lug) for all my handgun chores. It isn't really too big for concealed carry, it isn't too small for hunting with heavier bullets. 38's are cheap for practice, and 125 grain hotrods are the tops in the one stop shot game. am i missing something, if so tell me, if not, tell me i'm not crazy.

Any quality 4"-6" medium-frame .357 would be a fine "only" gun. From .38 wadcutters to 180gr .357 bambi-busters, it'll do it all.

I'd go with a 4-6" 44 mag, just because the 357 isn't quite legal for deer hunting where I live. Plus I can get factory 44 specials for practice.

Depends what all your needs/wants are. And why just one? Cost? Is CCW/defense main serious use for the handgun?
For CCW 6 shot revolvers are not the best choice, 5 shot revolvers or autos work much better.

I think the 44 mag is useful over a broader range than the 357. 44 Special loads give ~45ACP ballistics with little recoil from the magnum revolver. The 357/125JHP loads are not pleasent to shoot in carry sized guns IMHO. While the CCI-Speer 44 Special/200 GDHP @ 875fps is very comfortable to shoot. It has a bigger HP than the old Speer 45ACP/200 "flying ashtray" bullet at basically the same velocity.

IMHO if you can afford two handguns a Kel Tec P11, G26 (if you have the money), or 38 Snub with a used 44 mag would be more flexible.

My first handgun was a Ruger Security Six, I still have it but really wish I would have got a 629 to start with. The only reason I keep my 357 is to have a revolver with a smaller grip frame than my 629 for friends/family that want to learn about guns or shooting. Since S&W sold out before I could get a L Frame 44 Special :mad:

i decided to consolidate my collection as much as possable. in reality i'm going to try for a kgp-141 and a bobbed hammer sp-101 357 with custom express tritiums, mostly because i'm set up for reloading 38's and 357, and i believe that this duo can do it all. wasn't sure if i could just go with the gp-100 by itself, just wanted opinions. I think i'll go with both anyways, simply because i want to. but i always like hearing how great the kgp-141 is so by all means keep it up guys.

frog, I can't fault your choice

or your logic. In fact, there is a 99%+ used one in blue at a neighborhood pawn shop. It already has my favorite Hogues on it, tagged at $299.:)

Back