Keymod v. MOE system

This is an updated request to similar thread I have started before.

I haven't seen any convincing argument one is better than the other and I'm not entirely convinced either actually has anything on a picatinny quad rail once you start attaching things. Nothing on a normal handguard if you don't need a mini-toaster hanging off the handguard.

The market seems to say they do though, so...
I seem to see a lot more keymod rifles for sale than MOE
What do you expect as far as longevity of these systems?
Do you think there is any real benefit to one over the other?
Are there deficiencies such that a third system is likely?

You mean M-lok? Theres Keymod then Magpul has M-lok and MOE that are slightly different. I would say eventually M-lok will have more of the market simply because magpul is the go to for most AR makers furniture.

The QD M-lok mounts are really cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x27g4TNuvnM
If that becomes the norm for magpul I can definitely see m-lok coming out on top.

I'm guessing the OP meant M-Lok. The MOE mounting system is Magpul's old proprietary system that they got rid of and replaced with their improved open-source M-Lok system.

As someone who sells and uses both on a daily basis, I can tell you that M-Lok is superior to Keymod. M-Lok attaches more securely and is less likely to come loose. Also, M-Lok has the added advantage of being reversable, whereas Keymod only attaches one way.

johnwilliamson062 said:
https://www.magpul.com/products/moe-...length-ar15-m4

I guess they just have a few of those left in stock. I couldn't remember the current magpul system and that popped up on google. Didn't realize they hadn't sold off the old stock from the obsolete system yet.
No, that's not the old obsolete system you're linking to, that's the new M-Lok system.

It looks like you're a little confused here. Notice the description of the handguard in that link says "MOE M-Lok". "MOE" stands for "Magpul Original Equipment" and it used to describe the old products with their old proprietary mounting system. Then they got rid of that system and came up with the open-source M-Lok system that is designed to dethrone Keymod (and it's currently doing a good job of that since it's a better system than Keymod). They kept the MOE name on many of their products but now those products are all redesigned to work with the new M-Lok mounting system.

So using the term "MOE" to describe the mounting system refers the old obsolete proprietary system. Yes, Magpul still uses the MOE name, but notice that all their MOE products now use the new M-Lok mounting system, like the handguard you linked to above.

This picture might help. The handguard on top uses the old proprietary MOE mounting system; the one on the bottom uses the new M-Lok mounting system just like the one you linked to above. Notice how the M-Lok slots are bigger and more rectangular.

DrzbbJc.jpg

Last edited:
I think so, it's a better system. Also, many of the companies that used to only offer rifles with Keymod rails now offer M-Lok too, like Daniel Defense and Knights.

It's possible there's enough market space for both to coexist for a while longer, but if one is going to win I think it will be M-Lok.

I haven't seen any convincing argument one is better than the other and I'm not entirely convinced either actually has anything on a picatinny quad rail once you start attaching things. Nothing on a normal handguard if you don't need a mini-toaster hanging off the handguard.

I am an agnostic on Keymod vs Mlok, but I disagree with you on quad rails. I think both systems are vast improvements on quad rails:

1. They're lighter.
2. They're more comfortable to grip
3. Depending on the model, you're not necessarily limited to mounting at 90 degrees.

I know all the arguments back and forth on Keymod vs Mlok, but from what I've seen there just don't seem to be much functional difference. Both systems are intuitive and effective, and most people are using 3 or 5 slot picatinny sections underneath to mount their hardware anyway.

Depending on what the OP was actually referring to, one diff is whether the HG has to be removed for mounting the accessory or not.
I'm still using the MagPul HG's that require removal and it's a PITA cause usually I have to pull the scope to remove the top half.

Back