Key lock on new 870 safety

t2

I just picked my new 870HD and got a surprise. It has a little key lock on the safety, and has 2 little plastic keys. IMHO, this is a joke and something else that can go wrong on a self defense weapon. I tried to talk him into selling me something else, with no avail. He has an 870P, for a 100$ more and it doesn't have that cheap little lock and key. It will be replaced. Am I nuts, or should I leave well enough alone? Thanks, Terry

I'm with you, I'd lose the key lock I can see this locking the safety just when you hear something go "bump" in the night!

Whoa! Fortunately, replacing the safety -- if it's just the safety button? -- is a snap. Get a large-head safety from Vang Comp, which makes the safety almost as easy to operate as the Mossberg tang safety.

JNewell

Thanks for the replies. It is just the safety, if you can believe that. A place for a key in that little safety head. I'm going to make some calls today to see if I can have it changed locally. I wish I would have known before the purchase! Terry

A new Marine Coat 870 at the local gun shop had one of these, it came locked, and we used the little key pick thingy to unlock it, it wasn't the easiest thing to remove, much harder than just a normal key. I'm not very impressed, it seems like a pretty dumb idea on an other wise wonderfull shotgun.

Correia
Proud 870 owner since I was 12.

Guys,

Unfortunately in the current political climate we will be seeing stuff like this on ALL newer weapons. I was examining a new 870 Marine and noticed the difference right away.. It looks like you should be able to switch out the safety for a standard though I am not sure. I agree on the Vang Big-Head safety although I would order the MEDIUM as the large is just TOO big. If the button can not be switched out I have an extra unused 870 trigger-plate assembly that I will sell cheap.

Ben

Has Remington tried to be politically correct? Between this and that #$%^&*( dimpled mag, it looke that way.

Too bad, NO gun maker will be PC to the gun grabbers,and they will lose the market they have by going for this BS....

Please take no offense, but let me say that unless you are extraordinarily inept, or possibly blind, you can easily swap out the safety button. Drop the trigger group per the instructions, push the pin that holds the detent and spring out (by hand, no hammer needed), push the safety out, push a replacement in, compress the spring and push the retaining pin back in while compressing the spring. It's very easy.

(Hint: keep your finger over the hole that the detent and spring are in when you push the retaining pin through.)

Yes, I think we will see this on all new firearms. The Massachusetts AG has recently won a court battle to require this on all new handguns <argh>

JNewell

Back