Kerosene

mobayjd

Just got home from shooting navy arms 1860 army and Uberti 1849 pocket, noticed one of my cleaners listed kerosene as an ingredient. As it was nice outside I poured some straight kerosene in a bucket and brushed and swabbed till clean then dried with air compressor, quick and easy.
Just wondering if there will be any bad effects of this method?

Most BP shooters use a water based cleaner to dissolve the potassium compounds. But kerosine will not itself hurt the guns.

I use kero for cleaning modern guns by your method. BP needs water to remove the corrosive elements IMO. I use hot W/W fluid, it has water and alcohol and little ammonia in it besides detergent. don't let it dry on the bluing, I havent yet I always rinse off with hot water after using.

Ask five different people how to clean bp and you'll get five different answers. Kero won't hurt it but probably won't do a real good job by itself. All you need is hot soapy water and make sure you don't use any petroleum based lube afterward.

I use a black powder solvent now instead of hot/hot soapy water. I then cover it over with a good dollop of bore butter.
No question the HSW will clean, but i just wasn't getting a seasoned barrel.

Hi all Jack here, well today raining so I decided to go ahead and strip the Uberti down and as for my kerosene bath, in a word NOT CLEAN!
I guess I should have listened to the pros, HOT soapy water and HOT rinse, really clean now. No excuse for me as I,m retired and have the time.
Anyway, this is a new gun and normally I strip and clean a new gun just got sorry I guess. While the little Uberti was nice on the outside different story when I opened it up, numerous burrs and machining remnants a little work with swiss files and hones now I have a slick and clean colt pocket!
Once again guys listen to the pros, HOT water.

Back