Kentucky cleaning -- water/stock Channel Challenge

mehavey

Kentucky_Rifle.jpg

The best method is to pull the barrel from the stock. Fill up ones bucket soapy water and remove the nipple or flash hole liner. Get a ramrod with jag and insert the breech end into the water. Use a patch on the jag and thrust down the bore. Water will be sucked up like a syphon, and the dirty water will be squirted into the bucket.

Yup... for Musket/barrel-bands or Hawken/large-wedge rifles no problemmo. But for very small-pinned Kentuckies... not so good an idea every time one shoots it.
Maybe 1X/Yr and/or bad weather shoots, OK. But a coupla' hundred cycles and pin holes become a bit sloppy.

Short of filling the gaps with wax, any ideas?

Never had one where the nose cap was even with the muzzle. I'd probably pack the nose cap with wax and wrap a rag around it and try not to pull too much water out of the muzzle. Just pull it up til you can see the jag.

I use a tight fitting funnel to pour warm water down the bore of mine. I pull the nipple and the drum screw and pour away. Run some patches down the bore and repeat.

TK

If its a pinned barrel. You could call some store front business like Track of the wolf and ask (john) just what to do?

All my rifles have Keys for their disassembly. So I'm not able to offer a cure to your conundrum.

Back